UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Teutoburg Forest

Guest Monty

Hi all,

This my first time on this forum and I'm wondering if anyone could help me identify the artist etc of this attached print depicting Varus' defeat in the Teutoburg Forest; I would love to get my hands on a print...

Many thanks.

Monty

post-1-1160630497.ipb

Its called " The Fury of the Goths" by Paul Ivanovitz

yes this is the destruction of Varus's legions

have a look at Tacitus "The Annals" and the Osprey book on Legionnaires around turn of Christian Era.

Its Romes "France in Vietnam " moment ( Street Without Joy and The Quiet American are good sources).

Wait, isn't it suppose to be the Germans? I don't really know much about the Teutoberg forest.

hehe, germans are todays inhabitans of Germany, you probably mean germanics, which Goths were part of....

Arminus was a Cherusci not a Goth btw...

(the combined germanic tribes that defeated Varus were most probably Cherusci, Bructeri, Marsi, and Chatti

cheers

viggen

Fratres-look closely at the centre of picture: do you see anything looking a little out of context?

Right first time!

• 2 weeks later...

I am not familiar with the artist, but the painting looks like that school of Beaux Artes academic painting on historical themes that was popular in the late XIX Century. Meissonier and Detaille in France, Repin in Russia, Matjecko in Poland, Howard Pyle in the US. Looking for a print I would try websites for German or Austrian national museums with late XIX Century painting as a category. Good Luck.

• 1 year later...
Humph. Arminus wouldn't have been able to do it without Roman training.

Hmmm... Not sure about that. Arminius was a clever guy, a real sneaky rat. In fact, its better to say that without Quntilius Varus he wouldn't have been able to do it. Perhaps a more able commander and one who realised that Arminius wasn't being honest may well have prevented a disaster. That siad, Arminius had already formed an alliance of german tribes and was a force to be reckoned with north of the Rhine. The Romans were going to be in trouble anyway. Notice that Arminius did not pursue the romans across the Rhine. He knew they would eventually field too many men to contend with. Instead, he attempted to force the romans to withdraw and leave Germania to him. In that he succeeded, but roman training wasn't essential. The german tribes weren't trained in roman fighting but I do agree that the military intelluigence that Arminius could provide was useful. What was more useful was Varus's inability to see through a ruse.