UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Elgin Marbles

Princeps

What's your view on the return of the Elgin marbles to Greece?

Being English, I am probably biased to some degree, but personally I think they should stay in England. I have seen these in person, and they are absolutely amazing, some of the greatest works of art I have ever encountered.

Why should they stay here? Well, as I understand it, when Elgin encountered them they were being systemattically destroyed by the local population (ground up into dust I believe, though for what ends I cannot say). It was an act of preservation to take them, and I shudder to think of how may were destroyed. Now that the Greek government realises the true value they want them back, well tough luck (no offence to Greece, my girlfriend is half Greek).

What's your view?

I agree with you. Only those who can preserve it and guard it with the greatest care should keep it. But then so many other nations nowadays think they can guard it, but the problem is that those nations haven't had enough experience to stop smuggling, which is how a lot of artifacts end up in England and Rome(Vatican City). Like England, Vatican City has a much larger issue because lots and lots of relics, artifacts, items, and et cetera don't belong to them.( They gathered all these things since from the beginning of the Church to now and how kept them preserved is simply amazing.)

Yes, that first sentence in your reply is what I was intending to say - the British museum saw the value of the marbles and rightly intended to preserve guard them with the greatest of care. I really don't think that the Greek government deserve to have them back considering their attitude in the past (ie leaving them out in the open with absolutely no regard fot their signifigance). They would do a good job nowadays, but they've lost the chance of that as far as I am concerned.

If the homeland can take care of it, then I support a return, but in many cases as you say it is indeed an act of preservation. Some places have so much human history localized in their country (Greece, Rome) that they could use the help in taking care of these priceless objects. Seems to make sense to spread such things around.

Oddly the original acquisition of the Marbles was satirised as an act of stupidity when popular agitation over the the price of Corn was at its height. Also If my memory serves me right were the "marbles" not seen as idolatorous materials by the then Ottoman authorities ?

I don't see a reason for the British Museum to keep them, outside of funding. The Museum makes a goodly amount of trade with the Elgins (and their images) as one of its big draws. They would need to ensure, in the long run, that something with as much drawing power goes up in their place.

To the larger question of preservation, that shold be one of local priority. To make everyone's past the province of countries who can afford to preserve antiquities risks taking history and placing it with art: Only those who can afford it should have it. That is wrong on so many levels.

Those are very nice looking marbles, in all honesty. Look, i can't say anything that hasn't already been said, so i merely agree with what has been said. Britain has a better ability to look after them, so they should be allowed to look after them.

Although i must say that Britain has trouble returning things that don't belong to them. A few years ago, we aussies had to petition to the Marylebone Cricket Club to make them let the Ashes trophy come to Australia, even after we won it fair and square ;)