UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Building Rome Currently On The History Channel

To all fellow American residents.

Right now there's a really good History Channel documentary,Rome: Engineering an Empire, on Tv on building the Roman Empire. RIght now, its just finished featuring Trajan's forum and now onto Hadrian's wall. Just wanted to inform you guys. Buy the way, what do you think of the documentary.

Not to mention, there will also be a documentary on Roman Vice following Rome: Engineering an Empire.

If you can't see it, ROme: Engineering an Empire will be reshown at 5 Eastern(I think)

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Right now there's a really good History Channel documentary,Rome: Engineering an Empire, on Tv on building the Roman Empire. RIght now, its just finished featuring Trajan's forum and now onto Hadrian's wall. Just wanted to inform you guys. Buy the way, what do you think of the documentary.

Not to mention, there will also be a documentary on Roman Vice following Rome: Engineering an Empire.

It's pretty good. How about one of the experts interviewed; Peter Weller. Besides having played Robocop, he's got an MA in Roman and Renaissance Art, teaches part-time at Syracuse and is working on a Phd as well. Shame he didn't get a role in HBO's Rome.

Edited by Virgil61

I've seen the entire thing twice over since history channel so benevolently replayed it. Its an eccelent show, I highly recomend it. Its indepth, and along with studying the architecture. It give you information on why it was built and while walking you throught the buildings, it also gives you a general overlay of Roman Imperial history. By showing you these buildings, it also brings up aspects of Roman life and daily culture through telling just how the buildings were applied to the Average Roman citizen.

My favorite one of the buildings is the first one about caesar's bridge across the rhine. Its amazing how they did that.

Yes, that was cool.Just how wide is the Rhine during that time anyways?

I also wish the History Channel put on Rome week again, that was cool.

I've got TiVo auto-recording anything mentioning Roman history and let me tell you--Roman history documentaries are on ALL THE TIME. If I see Secrets of the Colisseum again, I think I'm going to do an Oedipus (the eye thing, not the mom thing). :)

Yes, that was cool.Just how wide is the Rhine during that time anyways?

I also wish the History Channel put on Rome week again, that was cool.

I've got TiVo auto-recording anything mentioning Roman history and let me tell you--Roman history documentaries are on ALL THE TIME. If I see Secrets of the Colisseum again, I think I'm going to do an Oedipus (the eye thing, not the mom thing). :unsure:

Agreed, everytime I flip on the T.V. I see another Roman documentary. I carefully select the ones I watch becuase some are loads of (sorry to put it bluntly but) crap and so I don't watch them. Others were organized by religious groups to show how evil Rome was. I typiacly stick to the history channel and the military channel becuase they do a good job of giving you unopinionated facts and you decide what you think of it for yourself.

BTW, Flavius, have you lost your ada wong obsession?

Yes I do love the history channel, sadly I don't have the military channel boohuhuh, I really want to see our guys in Iraq kick the heck out of the insurgents.

Oh my Ada thing, Im trying to find a substitute, just photoshopping a bit create a new thing or I'll just move on and begin with republic commando. :)

In addition to Robocop, the show also has my own Roman Art professor, Kim Hartswick, who was as charming on the show as he is in person. In my time zone, the show after this one was called "Roman Vice," where we get to see Tom Holland interviewed (his book Rubicon was fabulous, though he wasn't sympathetic enough to Cato). :lol: