UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Emperor Goblinus

Quo Vadis

I have, but I can't seem to remember the guy's name and his wife either. The movie seemed pretty accurate to me with the exception of that one senator who seemed to be only around one slave girl, peculiar. If he loved her, he might as well have married her already or get one with the other slave girls. :) Idealistacally not Roman culture.

Oh by the way, how did the slave girl(the main character) convert the guy to Christianity anyways.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

If I remember correctly, she introduces him to St. Peter, he is eventually imprisoned and put into the gladiatorial ring, and in the end, although it's not directly stated, it's pretty strongly suggested that he converts.

The movie portrays Nero accurately as a sicko tyrant, although he seems more goofy than dangerous at times, but when they describe his overthrow by Galba, the producers make it seem like everything was happily ever after once Nero died, but in fact Rome was thrown into civil war. Just a bit too much cinematic idealism.

Thanks, I wished AMC showed it again now. Hm, I'm surprised St. Peter's even included in the movie. During the "fire", it definitely portrayed Nero as pyschotic, playing his harp while watching the fire.

I think weve kicked this topic about someplace else , but I cant find it just yet- I wrote about the depiction of Nero by Peter Ustinov in the context of British actors as haughty/mad/decadent Roman villains versus clean living square jawed Americans as solid sort of early Christian tough guys . :romansoldier:

I think weve kicked this topic about someplace else , but I cant find it just yet- I wrote about the depiction of Nero by Peter Ustinov in the context of British actors as haughty/mad/decadent Roman villains versus clean living square jawed Americans as solid sort of early Christian tough guys . :romansoldier:

I wasn't a fan of the movie at all, but I liked the book (which I read as a kid) a great deal, especially its portrayal of Petronius. His death-scene was very true to Tacitus' description, and I came away from the book with an impression that some Romans were neither blood-engorged parasites like Nero nor bloodless prudes like the Christians (Lygia, I think, was her name), but full-blooded human beings like Petronius, who had a real zest for living well. The "Whither Goest Thou Lord?" scene was also powerful, and I'm not even a Christian. If you haven't already read the book, it's worth a read if only for its vivid depiction of the difference in world-views possessed by pagans and Christians.

No claims made, btw, about its overall historical accuracy--obviously, there were plenty of pagan prudes and bloodthirsty Christians as well.

The movie seemed pretty accurate to me with the exception of that one senator who seemed to be only around one slave girl, peculiar. If he loved her, he might as well have married her already or get one with the other slave girls. :)

Read the book--you'll see the love affair with the slave girl makes more sense, but I don't want to spoil it for you.

Yes the book is superior , my comments were more pertinent to how Britain and America perceived each other as cultures-but that was another thread that went to a Plutonian Hell!

my comments were more pertinent to how Britain and America perceived each other as cultures-but that was another thread that went to a Plutonian Hell!

If my girl perceived Brits as more like Peter Ustinov and less like Hugh Grant and Jude Law, I'd sleep easier! :romansoldier:

, my comments were more pertinent to how Britain and America perceived each other as cultures-but that was

I like the British. They have character. But they almost have to in order to endure their cooking.

I like the British. They have character. But they almost have to in order to endure their cooking.

WHAAT?? Come round to my place and you will get the best roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, mashed taties and veggies this side of the Pennines! I have decided to 'bump' this thread, because as I type, 'Quo Vadis' is being shown on BBC2. I must confess, the opening moments nearly had me falling off my couch with laughter at the sight of plastic legionary helmets and shields the size and thickness of A3 paper. The story seems pretty good though, and I have just got to the bit where Nero toys with the idea of burning a city. I've got to say, the sets arent bad at all!

Edited by Northern Neil

WHAAT?? Come round to my place and you will get the best roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, mashed taties and veggies this side of the Pennines! I have decided to 'bump' this thread, because as I type, 'Quo Vadis' is being shown on BBC2. I must confess, the opening moments nearly had me falling off my couch with laughter at the sight of plastic legionary helmets and shields the size and thickness of A3 paper. The story seems pretty good though, and I have just got to the bit where Nero toys with the idea of burning a city. I've got to say, the sets arent bad at all!

I agree with Neil on two counts. Firstly - Ursus - wash your mouth out! I will not even begin to comment on American cooking (LOL). However, do you mean cooking or ingredients? Never mind Neil's roast beef. Come and sample my lasagne, and you can have a very large slice of Humble Pie for dessert - (wink)

As for Quo Vadis - I rewatched this again too on Bank Holiday Monday. Almost as funny as Life of Brian - but not quite. My favourite was the poor Christian who grappled with a lion as though it were a mere nuisance of a thing nibbling at his hand. My sister and I noted that there was only Rosalie Crutchley (Acte) and Leo Genn (Petronius) who attempted to do some actual acting (at least for 1951) - but it was all good fun. I liked Poppaea's frocks!

I loved that bit in the film when Nero started to read Petronius' last letter to him :):furious: .

It was amazing how fast his attitude changed towards his late friend.

Quo Vadis is pretty typical of sword and sandals epics. The romans are often clean cut american actors fresh off the set of another cowboy 'B' feature and clearly have no idea how to portray a roman!

As always Peter Ustinov makes the role of Nero his own and in some ways its a believable depiction. As for Petronius I can't say. I agree totally with NN, those helmets are hilarious fancy dress party left-overs - and what the heck are those embroidered tunics doing on a senior roman soldier? His men ought to be making wolf whistles behind his back! Actually, the attention to detail in costume is basically zero, since everything was done as cheap as possible and made to look colourful on screen without any regard to historical accuracy. The same might be said of the plot, which is full of decadent excess but not really grasping the real story very well. The fate of Poppea Sabina in the film was done for dramatic effect - but then watching a pregnant woman getting kicked to death by an angry emperor was probably a bit much for 50/60's audiences. As usual, the christians are presented as noble martyrs - and I tend to agree with Nero - they're still singing? At least some attempt was made to present their fate in the arena and also as 'burning torches', a touch of reality. Not a fiilm to take seriously, but get out the popcorn, sit back, and watch romans a la Hollywood :wine:

Edited by caldrail

Probably not the greatest movie, but I've watched Quo Vadis as a child and has always loved it - especially Nero (with Peter Ustinov, how not?) and Petronius, which kind of set it apart from other sandal flicks in my rather hazy memory.

Hello everyone. I'm new here and hoping to make friends and discuss Roman stuff. As for the movie Quo Vadis, I have seen the movie and it's awsome! I was reading the post about Petronius's death and also remember how Nero changed his tune about him. As for Ligia and Marcus Vinicius, to the person who posted about how their love affair took place, it would be better to read the book I think. It's true about most of the actors and actresses in the felm, that they wern't very popular. I tried looking up info about Patricia Laffan, the woman that played Poppaea, but found hardly anything. The only three actors that seemed popular were the woman that played Ligia, Lio Genn, and Peter Ustinov. Over all, the movie was good.