UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Happy Holidays

Lost_Warrior

As we say in Austria "Frohe Weihnachten" to everyone :)

btw. in Austria the presents are brought by the "Christkindl" and not by Santa Claus... (The Christkindl is a sprite-like child, usually depicted with blond hair and angelic wings. Children never see the Christkind, as parents will always tell them that the Christkind just disappeared before they came.) We also not getting our presents on the morning of the 25th but in the evening of 24th (Christmas Eve)...

regards

viggen

Haha, so much cultural difference. So when do children stop believe in Christkindl over there? :)

Oh lost warrior, I thought the snowflake was some pagan sign or something, hehe, its no wonder it takes half the brain for the process of vision, yet the human eye is still easily deceptible.

It's interesting to note there were those in Ancient Rome who regarded the Saturnalia festivals as a bunch of overly loud tomfoolery. Heh.

I can't stand the Christmas season anymore. I walked into Wal-mart the day after Halloween, and was subjected to the "Alvin and the Chipmonks" version of Christmas Carols. Then there are the infernal Salvation Army people and other charities begging for handouts (do these people have real jobs?). Then there is the bad weather, the ubiquitous spread of flu and colds, the heavy traffic and deep lines at stores. "It's a Wonderful Life" plays everywhere on TV. Sappy Christmas songs on the radio.

And worst of all is being expected to buy cards and gifts for people you don't give a damn about any other time of the year.

This year I'm celebrating Festivus. I'm still working on my list of personal grievances to air.

Then there are the infernal Salvation Army people and other charities begging for handouts (do these people have real jobs?). Then there is the bad weather, the ubiquitous spread of flu and colds, the heavy traffic and deep lines at stores. "It's a Wonderful Life" plays everywhere on TV. Sappy Christmas songs on the radio.

And worst of all is being expected to buy cards and gifts for people you don't give a damn about any other time of the year.

This year I'm celebrating Festivus. I'm still working on my list of personal grievances to air.

The Salvation people over here aren't annoying they just stand around and ring the bell, nothing bad about them. But about the flu, I 100% agree with you, I'm having the damn effects of it and have been waking up in a horribly bad condition everyday. Well I don't know about the Christmas songs, they haven't started here yet, but at my school, Christmas advent is starting to get annoying which means mandatory school mass.