UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome's Greatest Legacy To The Modern World

M. Porcius Cato

Rome's Greatest Legacy  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What was Rome's broadest and most beneficial influence on the modern world?

• Roman Architecture & Engineering
    • Roman Arts, Literature, & Philosophy
    • Roman Law
    • Roman Religion
    • Roman Warcraft
    • Other

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for architecture (mainly cement). Whilst European law is based mainly on Roman law, I live in the UK, our legal system is the work of kings (and one in particular), then parlaiment.

Edited by Trajen

Oh no this is getting repetitive -I say cement as well-what an awesome technology-and underwater too

I'd have to say Roman literature/culture. Their instinct for writing everything down was a great benefit to us all. We also study the works of Roman philosphers. Not to mention the Romans developed a highly sophisticated social and cultural system that was unmatched in complexity for centuries. With so many customs, ways to advance, and the every day man's consistance intrest in politics and the arts they brought about a cultural revolution from the mainly tribal cultures of europe.

Edited by Sextus Roscius

I voted "law" but that's a bit confining for me. I would say Rome's greatest legacy is the idea of a universal empire where everyone can play along.

Hmmmm....wouldn't the cosmopolitan ideal fall under philosophy? I guess the laws on governing provinces turn that ideal into a reality, but you're right it's hard to categorize this very important legacy.

I think the both of them can be applied to question since they were both part of Rome's culture and we do see both type of religions influencing part of modern culture today.Probably Christianity since the Pagan religion doesn't have much of an influence compared to Christianity on Western culture,specifically, with the exceptions of things such as Halloween here in America.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

A breif question. What Roman religion are we refering to?

The Traditional Pantheon or Chrisitianity?

I would say both Roman Catholicism and Roman Paganism are, in their own ways, spiritual reflections of the Roman legalistic mentality .....

So again, despite being "religious" in some sense, I had to vote for law.

Anyway, if one votes for Christianity in general (as opposed to Catholicism in particular) the Hellenistic East deserves as much credit, perhaps more.

People, without literature we wouldn't know the things the Romans did. Without a language which ties into literature there would be no great ancient civilizations like the Egyptains, Sumerians (not really...), Greeks, Etruscans, Romans, etc. This is so because if there was no language, there would be no army because no one would understand what to do.