UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Suggestion

A new hierarchy might be (just brain storming)

1.Admin

2.Mods

3.Patricians/senators/holders of honor offices

4.Low ranking officials/ holders of honor offices. (This class would come inbetween for the purposes making a more complex hierarchy and dividing things up. They would be given a superior status in terms of reward for contributions or the position temporaroly from a honor office)

5.Equestrians/holders of honor offices

6.Pleblians

7.Slaves

The holders of honor offices could be selected by the senate and/or admins and would hold that position. The position of different offices would be equivilent to a permant status of the same level. However that would be a honorary position so while it would hold the equivilent to a status, it wouldn't get certain benefits of the status.

I did this as a general sketch of my ideas so they can be open to ctique and revision by others as I realize this is very sketchy and is in great need of refining.

P.S. I seem to be on a posting streak today this being my 21 post...

Does anyone have anything to contribute, becuase I see countless people starring at this thread for hours and then don't post anything, so, Ideas?

Edited by Sextus Roscius

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I like the current setup and think that it is the most practical. The people who contribute do so of their free will without requiring sanction, and are duly rewarded with opportunities to recieve new material or to potentially moderate.

It's there for the taking, and the people who have done so already are my heros :lol:

Personally, I like the current setup and think that it is the most practical. The people who contribute do so of their free will without requiring sanction, and are duly rewarded with opportunities to recieve new material or to potentially moderate.

It's there for the taking, and the people who have done so already are my heros ;)

I like the current setup as well. I think keeping the site from developing a too special a class is important and more inclusive. I appreciate the little extras that the contributors to book reviews get, with real life, job, family, etc, it does take a bit more work to develop those but I like the idea of the current site.

I'm glad Primus thinks we shouldn't be moving towards a Nova Roma and will keep the focus on Roman history. By the way, can someone clue me in on Nova Roma, do people there really take that stuff seriously or is it just for fun?

Nice idea, however...

This might get very complicated, I like it simple...

The issue is, people have lifes outside the Internet, not always everyone is online all the time, sometimes people are busy on the boards for weeks, then you dont hear from them in months and so on..

Thats normal, thats the way it is, now if you keep that in mind, all we ever encouraged at UNRV.com is voluntarily, if you step up with quality posts, book reviews, articles etc. you will be noticed and promoted accordingly. The current set up is simple and effective to do just that.

Saying that, no one is stopping the equestrians/pleibeians to just do what P.Clodius suggested (open a new thread, choose who should do it, research, write and discuss), but we defenitely dont need antoher title or a commite for that...

Remember, we are a place to discuss all things Roman and happen to have some perks for valued contributers and not a bureaucratic society...

regards

viggen

I agree with Ursus, and Viggen.....the system that we have now is perfect for my needs and many others.

Since I can only come on about three days of the week as with the majority of the members here, I say that we continue to have the current system. Though it would be cool to make laws and be "Senators" and such I have a busy scedual and sometimes I just am TOO tired to post or contribute.

Hence I like the fact that I am a Equestrian. I am one of the oldest members here, but I am also one of the last original members to post. The original members being from 2003 to early 2004. Hence lets just keep the system simple so people like me can come on occasionally and post.

See yeah for now,

Zeke

P.S I think it would be cool if you made me Pontifex Maximus (Since I am the most Pagan of you all! HAHAHAHA just kidding.

I'm glad Primus thinks we shouldn't be moving towards a Nova Roma and will keep the focus on Roman history. By the way, can someone clue me in on Nova Roma, do people there really take that stuff seriously or is it just for fun?

They're quite serious.

In fact, their claims to being an autonomous government and nation may technically constitute secession. I'd really like to see what the Department of Justice and FBI have to think about it.

In regards to the other items ...

How about this. We leave the current admin structure intact, though if PP wants to change the membership criteria for Patricians and book give-a-ways that's fine with me.

Now we could have a separate board for Plebians and Equestrians to express their concerns. If they want to elect amongst themselves temporary "Tribunes" for the purposes of leading discussions and suggesting improvements, that's fine with me.

You can even change the current "Consilium Comitia" forum to a Plebian Assembly forum, as the patricians and mods have their own forums where they discuss things anyway. Some people like Onasander and Flavius have already expressed interest in being elected Tribune. Again, if this is a temporay and informal title for the purposes of leading the site majority in discussions and improvements, then so be it. People can hold a title for a few months as long as they have done something to actually earn it.

But let's not call them Consuls. Let's leave the current administration structure in place minus any change around the margins that PP wants to make. And for the love of the gods don't do anything that makes us look like Nova Roma.

So would that be a reasonable compromise?

They're quite serious.

In fact, their claims to being an autonomous government and nation may technically constitute secession. I'd really like to see what the Department of Justice and FBI have to think about it.

After reading this I reviewed the site again in a different light. 'Whacky' is the technical term I believe.

Definitely stay away from that sort of thing.

Edited by Virgil61

In regards to the other items ...

How about this. We leave the current admin structure intact, though if PP wants to change the membership criteria for Patricians and book give-a-ways that's fine with me.

Now we could have a separate board for Plebians and Equestrians to express their concerns. If they want to elect amongst themselves temporary "Tribunes" for the purposes of leading discussions and suggesting improvements, that's fine with me.

You can even change the current "Consilium Comitia" forum to a Plebian Assembly forum, as the patricians and mods have their own forums where they discuss things anyway. Some people like Onasander and Flavius have already expressed interest in being elected Tribune. Again, if this is a temporay and informal title for the purposes of leading the site majority in discussions and improvements, then so be it. People can hold a title for a few months as long as they have done something to actually earn it.

But let's not call them Consuls. Let's leave the current administration structure in place minus any change around the margins that PP wants to make. And for the love of the gods don't do anything that makes us look like Nova Roma.

So would that be a reasonable compromise?

I like this Idea, I think patrician criteria should be changed as P.P. had mentioned in a earlier post. I think this is the right amount of stuff to take from all the extreme ideas I through out the other night. Perhaps we can see what other members think about this?

To sum up what I get from your ideas:

The hierarchy

Admin/Mod

Patrician

Equestrian

Plebian

If we have temporary titles as a reward for something special or great, the receiver of the title would still have the same capabilities and status as their official hierarchy status (Patrician, Plebian, Equestrian) but a temporary title instead of it just saying the military rank, or it could go in the place of their class status.

I'm unsure as to how to get the Tribunes working, but depending on how we do those it could be a fun thing. If we could get Ideas on that I'd be delighted, perhaps more details from the people desiring to be them?

I like the idea of changes the consilium comitia to the plebian assembly but I don't particularly want to segragate the classes. Anyways, at least were getting some where from the drawing board.

Ideas? (as stated by the others, No Nova Roma.)

Look here though......we don't want this site to be dominated by different divisions. Though I know our moderators and Admins are fair but...I was once on a Communist site called Che-Lives, they had this "Commie Club." and the people in the "Commie Club" turned into the thing that the Communists hated most: A fasciast tolleration state site. When we create these different Tribunes this better not lead to fighting among the different classes like in the real anceint Rome.

How do you suppose we prevent fighting between the different discision making bodies that exist here at UNRV?

Zeke

How do you suppose we prevent fighting between the different discision making bodies that exist here at UNRV?

I don't think this will be a problem. The admins will always have ultimate control overall which is how it should be. Other titles people are mentioning like "Tribune" would be honorific, like in the Empire - LOL

Most certainly Germanicus, all of these would be rewards for contributions and there wouldn't be any special privleges to the people recieving the honor titles, just prestige.

I don't think there would be any fighting between the groups becuase most people on UNRV (expecialy the ones likely to recieve these titles) are good natured people and don't want to cause trouble. Also as Germanicus said, these are Honorific titles.

This might get very complicated, I like it simple...

I completly agree. The current titles certainly encourage contribution, and any further set-up of new classes, new titles and different areas would only lead to anarchy. People would be complaining that they aren't being treated equally, there would be divisions in how the site should be run, and (God forbid) this may lead to the lessening of the Admin's power and the necessitating of them taking drastic actions against these potential divisions. I've seen elsewhere how seriously people take titles and responsibilities, even if it was originally in fun that the titles were created. I'm sure that there'll be currying of favour and as i said, outright argument for power.

I am not opposed to reform if the majority want it, i'm just suggesting that we not place far too much importance on the titles here.

Well made concerns Tobias, these are temporary titles meant for honor only. Anyone who gets to upity can have their title (and membership) striped by our wonderful Admins. I also mean that with knowing many of the people who would be more likely to receive titles, there would be little chance of one getting to upity. I'm sure we aren't going to find too many people on a Romanophile website that are going to consider themselves higher becuase they are, lets say tribune, for a month or two.

I think it depends on how far we go with different titles. And what for.

Overall I'm glad people are at least commenting on my ideas.

Edited by Sextus Roscius