UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Capital Punishment

I am largely indifferent towards capital punishment. I don't think it provides the desired effect of acting like a deterrent because it is so watered down by the length of legal proceedings, but the execution of humans (as punishment for heinous acts) doesn't bother me in the slightest.

You should be bothered. Since 1920 there have been 23 proven wrongful executions with many more that are questionable. This could happen to you, or someone close to you. While overall the law enforcement community does a good job there are those instances where there have been neglegent investigations. You recall how the police and FBI went after Richard Jewel for the Olympic Park bombing in the 90's. They literally tried to railroad the guy.

Edited by P.Clodius

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are to be shocked by people being wrongly killed, I suggest that you find a better area to cry over, such as Allied incendiary bombings against Axis cities or another matter. When it comes down to it, no matter what descision is made on a large scale, some one is going to die, and you can't cry over that.

I'm sorry that there were inocent people executed but we humans aren't perfect. Consider the number of guilty people killed for the slaughter of others, and I think you'll find that the numbers are significantly comparable.

As for method of death, I agree with who ever it was that lethal injection is very inhumane. Personaly I'd request a painless poisen in a drink. I'd drink it, then die without pain. Thats my opinion on it. They should say to the prisoner

"you've got two choices, you can drink this glass of painless poisen, or we'll just shoot you"

The choice is obvious, no one can blame the state if some one chose death by bullet to a painless death.

@Sextus Roscius

I think their is a difference, whether civilians get killed during war and a person being executrd although he is innocent. both are tragic, but both are different. In Western Standards, every person is ENTITLED to a Fair Trial. In that trial, the STATE has to Prove the Person Guilty of his charges, the Person, does not have to prove his innocence. In the specific case of Stan T. Williams, their are a lot of gray zones. Were nobody can 100% prove that he was guilty. I know that he was the Co-Founder of the Crip Gangsters. And that the Crip Gangs took alot of lifes and terrorised many more. But, from what i have heard. Mr. Williams, was the main reason for thousands of people to stay away from gangs. he was nominated for the Noble Peace Price, etc.

So the authorities should have checked his case further times.

I am for Capital Punishment! But only if the person is Proven Guilty 100%. And also to scare of other Potential Criminals.

All I'm saying is that, even though each case tragic, 27 people over 80 years isn't exactly a lot compared to all the innocents who have died in many other ways also carried out by the government. Yes they are tragic, but I don't think we should blow it out of porportion.

You should be bothered. Since 1920 there have been 23 proven wrongful executions with many more that are questionable. This could happen to you, or someone close to you. While overall the law enforcement community does a good job there are those instances where there have been neglegent investigations. You recall how the police and FBI went after Richard Jewel for the Olympic Park bombing in the 90's. They literally tried to railroad the guy.

I never said I wasn't bothered by wrongful execution, only that I am not bothered by the idea of capital punishment for heinous crimes. I don't like capital punishment for the legal disaster that it has become and for its decided inability to deter anyone, but would strongly support its use provided safety measure criteria for evidence be met (several witnesses, confession, DNA evidence, etc.) and if it were done quickly and in public.

As for the case mentioned... certainly the accusations for the Atlanta bombing were completely ridiculous, but in the end at least there were no criminal charges. I assign just as much blame for the slander and libel of Jewel's character on the various media agencies right along with law enforcement.

The death penalty hasn't meant much since crucifixion went out of style. In the old days they used to nail you to a big piece of wood, where you would spend several hours in agony in full public view. A greater tool of psychological terror I can't think of.

These days they simply stick a needle into your veins and you die a painless death out of public view. Big deal. Who is scared of that? I asked the same thing be done to my dog when it passed its prime, and considered it the merciful thing to do.

As a tool of terror, castration seems so much more effective. There isn't a man out there who isn't scared of losing his manhood (aside from a few wanna-be transsexuals, I suppose). I advocate castration for any violent crime with sexual overtones. For other serious crimes the chaingang method mentioned by Favonius works for me.

As far as Islamic terrorists, I believe they should be subjected to the same laws they would inflict upon us, such as chopping off their hands. It's poetic. Plus, it would deny them martyrdom and a heaven full of virgins.

The death penalty hasn't meant much since crucifixion went out of style. In the old days they used to nail you to a big piece of wood, where you would spend several hours in agony in full public view. A greater tool of psychological terror I can't think of.

These days they simply stick a needle into your veins and you die a painless death out of public view. Big deal. Who is scared of that? I asked the same thing be done to my dog when it passed its prime, and considered it the merciful thing to do.

As a tool of terror, castration seems so much more effective. There isn't a man out there who isn't scared of losing his manhood (aside from a few wanna-be transsexuals, I suppose). I advocate castration for any violent crime with sexual overtones. For other serious crimes the chaingang method mentioned by Favonius works for me.

As far as Islamic terrorists, I believe they should be subjected to the same laws they would inflict upon us, such as chopping off their hands. It's poetic. Plus, it would deny them martyrdom and a heaven full of virgins.

I definatly agree, the death penalty has little real point that to satisfy the victim's family. It used to be a psychological terror. I heard a historian say this, though I can't remember who "it is far more effective to cause your enemy to route than it is to kill him" and I must agree. I think recently certain pacifists have said "well, the point is to have that person dead, so why not do it discreatly" which is certainly incorrect, the purpose of the death penalty is to deter further villiany.

And by golly it worked for the ancients, what makes is so much more horrible today?