UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
longbow

Varangian Guard

Prince Vladimir of Kiev sent 6000 men to fight for the Byzantine Emperor and he made these Norse troops into his bodyguard (varangians).Why did the Emperor of the greatest military might of the time feel the need to employ foreign troops for his own protection?

Allso,why did so many Saxon or Norse men travel so far to join the unit? after the Norman conquest of England some 5000 soldiers set sail for Constantinople,some settled in the east but most joined the Varangian Guard.

Harald Sigurdsson (Hardrada) is allso a famous Guardsman,what attracted these people to Constantinople?

Appreciate any thoughts on this as i really dont know much about the eastern empire at all,thanks.

Edited by longbow

I think Pantagathus will tell us that the route these men took was a major established trade route at that time.

These men would represent the highest quality export from their home region, skilled ,experienced, tough. very large and with a long history as a fighting elite by this time. What is forgotten is the technological excellence of their weapons and armour, as we have discussed as regards swords elsewhere ,exported metalwork from this area was exsquisite and these were no savage Thegns but "ready to go " elite guardsmen

Edited by Pertinax

I imagine that the reasons for the Byzantine Emperor accepting their loyalty as his personal guard are exactly the same as why the Roman Emperors employed Germans into their own personal bodyguards. For one thing the soldiers had no local connections and were beholden to the emperor only. That is a good recipe for loyalty. Additionally they were true northern warriors, probably simpler men not use to the court politics and scheming which turn allies into enemies for a few coin. Their combat ability is beyond question, those northern warriors always being a strong and intimidating stock, just what you need for a personal guard which follows the emperor around but not necessarily filling the lines in a battle.

Why did they go? I figure the answer is as common to all opportunistic soldiers; money, easy life, battle and excitement. Who wants to settle down to England when you can fight for the dirty rich and live the high life?

At the time, the Emperor was Basil II "Bulgaroktonos". When the great landowners of Asia Minor revolted against the Empire, Basil himself suppressed the rebellion. To do so, he decided to form an alliance with Vladimir of Kiev, as Russian fighters, attracted by the ready employment available from the Byzantines and the great treasures to be had, had been going to Constantinople before the alliance. This experience of the skill and dangerousness of the Russian warriors had persuaded Basil that an alliance with the Rus would be very profitable. As well, Basil had grand ideas of expansion, and wanted as many soldiers as he could get.

Basil's younger sister Anna was married to Vladimir (after Vladimir had himself baptised and his people converted to overcome her reluctance :P), and Vladimir supplied 6000 men for Basil, as well as evacuating the captured Imperial base in the Crimea, Chersonesos. The Rus warriors were instrumental in ending the rebellion, and proved their worth. They were later organized into the Emperor's Varangian Guard, as was said.

The Varangians accompanied Basil from battle to battle; from Abydos to the siege of Emesa in Syria, to Georgia and to his ruthless campaigns against Bulgaria.

Later, an Italian nobleman named Meles rebelled. Leo of Ostia had this to say about the Rus in Basil's quashing of the rebellion:

"When the Emperor heard that brave knights had invaded his land, he sent his finest soldiers against them: in the first three battles they fought, the Normans won, but when they (The Normans) were matched against the Russians, they were totally defeated, and their army was utterly destroyed...

As for the Saxons and Normans migrating to the Byzantine Empire, i believe again the prospect of employment in a rich, famous, powerful yet far away land was very alluring, and they also, i believe, went so that they could fight new enemies, as well as (In the case of the Saxons) fighting the Normans and Russians :)

Edited by Tobias

Harald Sigurdsson (Hardrada) is allso a famous Guardsman,what attracted these people to Constantinople?

Greetings,

Tobias has summed it up well but I'd like to add a few things.

The Varangians were attracted by Constantinople because its size in economy. They tend to call it as the City of Kings (Cities of Czar or City of the Caesars) and indeed, Constantinople was very rich and beautiful city. Not to mention that the guards were payed handsomely by the Romans, and thus they pledged their loyalty, even were willing to sacrifice their own lives protecting the emperors.

Thanks for the reply's,i did a bit of online research but does anyone know of any good factual books regarding the unit?

Thanks.

It appears that money was the main motivation for traveling so far,the Varangians were the best paid troops in Europe.But you had to buy your way into the unit,any ideas on the amount of coin needed to gain membership?the English Saxons allso had an alteria motive,they were allowed to carry on fighting against the Normans in Sicily :P .

L

If id been a disenfranchised Huscarl I would have been straight on the boat to crack some Norman skulls.

:blink: Me too, William the Conqueror is one of my pet hates,i detest the man.

There is a tradition of using foreign guards in many eastern or asian influenced areas. By having guards from far lands, the ruler helps ensure their loyalty because without him the guards have no support. There's no family/clan structure for the guards in the area, save the ruler and his household. Their loyalties to the ruler then become as loyalty to family. Eunuchs are a more radical displacement since you take away their potential to have a family so they adopt the rulers' household.

The Varangians are an extention of this idea. Large rewards drew them into service, as well as the lure of the city. Most stayed, fewer went home with their money at mustering out. Those who did go back served as recruiting examples to keep a steady stream of volunteers coming in. But there are always limits, and mercenaries do become a liability after awhile, see "The Prince."

On a side note: The could be viewed as a secondary cause in the long standing fight of the Rus and Russia to gain the straits. There's been dead Rus there for how long?

The tradition of foreign guards from alien cultures is unbroken -Franco had his Muslim Guards for instance, possibly for a striking show of barbarous "orientalism" but real soldiers nevertheless. Contemporary liberal Muslim rulers of small states show a great preference for particular types of specialsit ex-British servicemen.

The tradition of foreign guards from alien cultures is unbroken -Franco had his Muslim Guards for instance, possibly for a striking show of barbarous "orientalism" but real soldiers nevertheless. Contemporary liberal Muslim rulers of small states show a great preference for particular types of specialsit ex-British servicemen.

And the Pope has his Swiss Guard doesn't he? And the British have their Gurkhas, from Nepal, a country that was never part of the British Empire. And the French their Foreign Legion. If people fight for foreign countries we call them 'mercenaries' but I haven't heard that word used of the Gurkhas. The Indian army also has a Gurkha regiment.

Thanks for the reply's,i did a bit of online research but does anyone know of any good factual books regarding the unit?

Thanks.

It appears that money was the main motivation for traveling so far,the Varangians were the best paid troops in Europe.But you had to buy your way into the unit,any ideas on the amount of coin needed to gain membership?the English Saxons allso had an alteria motive,they were allowed to carry on fighting against the Normans in Sicily :blink: .

L

An excellent account and I think the only book soley devoted to the subject is "The Varangians of Byzantium" by Sigfus Blondal and translated by Benedikt S. Benedikz. It draws a lot of information on the unit from various sources, however I think the only drawback is that where evidence is lacking on some regrads they tend to become a bit speculative instead of just saying, we have no info on this... moving on. But all in all a great book.

Thanks.

L

An excellent account and I think the only book soley devoted to the subject is "The Varangians of Byzantium" by Sigfus Blondal and translated by Benedikt S. Benedikz. It draws a lot of information on the unit from various sources, however I think the only drawback is that where evidence is lacking on some regrads they tend to become a bit speculative instead of just saying, we have no info on this... moving on. But all in all a great book.

To add to your factual history, there's a nice romantic story in /King Harald's Saga/ (translation published under that title in Penguin Classics, 1966) chapters 13-14. King Harald Hardradi served in the Varangians in his youth. Princess Zoe wanted to marry him: he refused and was imprisoned. 'A lady', no doubt one of his other admirers, organised his escape. Once he was freed, in revenge for his imprisonment the Varangians blinded the emperor.

Thanks.

L

To add to your factual history, there's a nice romantic story in /King Harald's Saga/ (translation published under that title in Penguin Classics, 1966) chapters 13-14. King Harald Hardradi served in the Varangians in his youth. Princess Zoe wanted to marry him: he refused and was imprisoned. 'A lady', no doubt one of his other admirers, organised his escape. Once he was freed, in revenge for his imprisonment the Varangians blinded the emperor.

HAHAHAHA! I love that saga... some of it is well written propaganda and some others I have read is just REALLY out there... (the story that Harald while in prison won his freedom by killing a dragon IN prison). The book I mention ironically goes into detail to show the falacy of the entire episode... I always laugh when I read that saga, because the tie in some facts into a story that can't be. Empress Zoe, (who by this time was in her 60's), is involved directly and indirectly that it was a realtive of her's by the name of Maria. Also, he blinded Michael V who ruled for only 4 months and not the Emperor who imprisoned him, who was Constatine V I believe. You gotta love propaganda...

Edited by Neos Dionysos

An excellent account and I think the only book soley devoted to the subject is "The Varangians of Byzantium" by Sigfus Blondal and translated by Benedikt S. Benedikz.

You beat me to it Neos Dionysos, i was going to suggest that book :D

And the British have their Gurkhas, from Nepal, a country that was never part of the British Empire.

Nepal was right above the British possessions in India; it probably even shared borders with British India. It stands to reason that Britain would have had alliances and treaties with Nepal.

Edited by Tobias