UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Last Legion (movie)

link to imbd movie site

I didn't know this, but I just found out they finished making a movie called the Last Legion on Romulus Augustus during the Fall of the Empire, well pretty much about the fall of the Empire I think. But look at the cast list, its good one. They got Ben Kingsley and that funny guy from the Mummy Returns(Jonathan).

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin McKidd also makes an appearence (Vorenus).

I daresay that this movie is based on the book written by Valerio Massimo Manfredi? If so, i hope that the movie does the book justice. I've read the book again and again, and i seriously enjoy the thought that Romulus Augustulus may have ended up of a brighter fate than at best lifelong exile and imprisonment or at worst, death.

I daresay that this movie is based on the book written by Valerio Massimo Manfredi? If so, i hope that the movie does the book justice. I've read the book again and again, and i seriously enjoy the thought that Romulus Augustulus may have ended up of a brighter fate than at best lifelong exile and imprisonment or at worst, death.

I'm usually a bit dismissive of a lot of historical fiction, but this guy looks like the real thing. Manfredi's an archaelogist teaching at a university in Milan (according to Wikipedia).

That would be a movie to look forward to and I, too wonder how in this case the book is turned into a film esp. since I loved the book a lot. But I guess it will take a while before the movie will screen here in Germany

• 6 months later...

Have you read the Alexander trilogy by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, and his other works?

Would welcome your comments.

That would be a movie to look forward to and I, too wonder how in this case the book is turned into a film esp. since I loved the book a lot. But I guess it will take a while before the movie will screen here in Germany

Oh I want to read that book! Is it like a story, or is it factual/textbooky?

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

Have you read the Alexander trilogy by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, and his other works?

I'd like to hear about that too. A friend who has written about Alexander didn't like these books, but that's just one opinion. As for the /Last legion/, I have read the book myself. It's well worth reading, although I felt the translation was a bit rocky. It's done by an Italian (a relative of the author I think) and that's not a good recipe: to translate into English you need someone with English mother tongue. But others may feel differently about the translation. Anyway that doesn't affect the fact that it's a fine story, and with lots of convincing period detail, and I can imagine that it would make a really exciting film.

Just one thing. The Goths in /The last legion/ are really, really barbaric. I mean, savage. Not even one-per-cent lovable. You wouldn't marry your daughter to one of these guys.

Are you guys talking about this book?

The Last Legion

Wow thanks Viggen, I read the review. I got sucked into the free preview and read all the readable pages! :ph34r:

I'm buying this book.

Are you guys talking about this book?

The Last Legion

yep that's the one, it's one of those books that you just dont want to put down, if the film is half as good as the book it should be pretty good

Manfredi's Alexander trilogy is very good, im no expert on Alexander but as far as i can tell it's very close to the truth, all the important dates and times in Alexander short but eventful life are there along with a few added bits of spice to help the story along.

i'm a big fan of Manfredi so have read all his other books which go as follows:

Last Legion

Spartan

Talisman of Troy

Tyrant

The Oracle

Empire of Dragons

I would recommend all of these books

I ordered this book a few weeks ago!! and am waiting on it.- with more anticipation now! Re the translation I would like to see the original Italian and compare as I am a native English speaker who speaks Italian. Will comment more when I get it

I read the Alexander trilogy some time ago and it looks like i'm in the minority because i really disliked the books.The series is similar to Conn Iguldens Caesar books i found,a swashbuckling adventure of a group of pals.But i too am no Alexander expert so maybe it is accurate,but i doubt it.

I did like scene when Alexander met Haphastion for the first time and they gave each other a milk tooth,Alexander didnt have one handy so he pulled one out his mouth :D .

I read 'The Last Legion' last year sometime and this too i didnt like,i was enjoying it up untill all that nonsence about Caesar's magical sword, which Wulfilla just had to get his hands on,so much so he chases the fugitives all the way to Britain.Pffft,im not expecting much from the movie but i'll still watch it :ph34r: ,there's Romans in it afterall :P .

Longbow

• 1 month later...