UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Gladiator

Guest Scanderbeg

Guest Scanderbeg

I have to say, they way they recreated Rome and the world was amazing. I personally just loved the atmosphere of the movie. Though it's story was rather sappy. Plus, the portrayal of Commodus was off.

What did you guys think of the film?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gladiator had a good script and was well acted,the set designs were good and the CGI work recreating Rome was breathtaking.Only problem is,its historically dyslexic. :D L

Guest Scanderbeg

Ridley would have doen well recreating something that has always been romanticized, like the Battle of Themopylae. There he could have the freedom to move the story around as he pleased. But its pathetic to think that some actually THINK Gladiator was actually historically accurate.

I think the movie and its problems are summed up in a scene, and bear with me I've only seen it 1 1/2 times, with Derek Jacobi as a senator.

IIRC- The Senator was greeting the main character wit ha line that included something to the effect of 'the Senate elected by the people of Rome.' :rolleyes: And Jacobi was wearing what looked to me like a watch band with the face turned away from the camera.

I liked some of the little details, like the house gods and the stoicism of the general, but on the whole the movie was unremarkable. About the same, IMHO, as Quo Vadis.

• 7 months later...

would members care for a brief review of the "3 disc" -extended version and commentaries or is this topic bound for Elysium?

I assume that many members will have seen the "extended" version but here goes anyway: I agree that this film is a "spectacle" as many suggest and we are in essence off to the Circus to be entertained by noise and thunder. Scotts commentary is wry and amusing he tells us that the film is perhaps more a comment on contemporary Los Angeles than Imperial Rome-positing the question "if a spectacle of cruelty were made a lawful entertainment just how would "modern " people react-disgust ,shame, pre-booked seats for a full season of death? I know this is a little unfair as Gladiatorial games had a different message about turning and examining death in public and the role of the "outcast" in relation to the hard won civilising Pax Romana-nevertheless they were also crude and bloody spectacle.

There are additional scenes of political plotting which give more narrative strength, but the extra discs give much that is interesting to the Romanophile:notes on costume, weapons (actual and "re-imagined") ,and of course production notes and storyboard.The cgi battle scene documentary will be of interest to gamers.

I liked this film a great deal, Scott has made a glossy entertainment out of grit and dust,his imagining of Roman behaviour is not mean spirited and the abscence of theatrical dialogue is a real blessing.

The battle scene has its detractors but one moment gave me a greater insight into legionnary fighting than a hundred books,namely when the front rankers raised their heads in total unison from behind locked shields after the barbarian arrow storm- the impression was of a deadly,disciplined force that must have been a dread to face with its implacable drilled response to battle.The other obvious comment is the technological superiority and killing capability of the Roman forces over tribal foes.

Bit too much slashing with the Gladius and not enough pilae.

I wont attempt to defend the historical accuracy on this movie, because it was indeed lacking as most are. You have to admit though, Gladiator did us Roman fans a huge favor in putting it in the forefront in everyone's minds. Since then Roman history and knowledge I think has had a boost, and perhaps even the 'Rome' series owes it's life to the great movie which is Gladiator.

Long live Ridley Scott!

I think Scott did a great job-I dont think it does any harm to "re-imagine" things or situations because that in effect is the way of interpreting the reality of the past into ideas and signs that "modern" people can understand.I am looking forward to seeing the "Rome " series from this wednesday onward.

Me too ,i've allready seen the first eight episodes thanks to the wonders of the Internet :) but im still excited now its coming on the telly :)