UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"basileia Romaion"

G'day All

This is just a kind of nit-picking suggestion; Over the years, i've developed a huge interest in the "Byzantine Empire". I got the opportunity to speak to a teacher eminent in the subject, and when i did, i immediately got my head bitten off for calling it the "Byzantine" Empire. This person said that the term "Byzantine" was a relativelymodern term, used to distinguish the later, greek-speaking empire from the earlier, latin speaking empire and that it should be at all times called the "Roman Empire" or the "Basileia Romaion"( Which is the greek for "Imperium Romanorum"). I was converted to this, and remembering this website's liking of ancient or at least non modern terms for it's forum headings, i wondered what you people and admin would think if i suggested that "Basileia Romaion" was incorporated into the Postilla Historia Romanorum title or description somehow, instead of Byzantine. I know it's a greek term, so i was thinking of not bothering, but i decided to anyway.

So, what do people think? Yes it's nit-picking, but it's a thought....

Edited by Tobias

G'day All

This is just a kind of nit-picking suggestion; Over the years, i've developed a huge interest in the "Byzantine Empire". I got the opportunity to speak to a teacher eminent in the subject, and when i did, i immediately got my head bitten off for calling it the "Byzantine" Empire. This person said that the term "Byzantine" was a relativelymodern term, used to distinguish the later, greek-speaking empire from the earlier, latin speaking empire and that it should be at all times called the "Roman Empire" or the "Basileia Romaion"( Which is the greek for "Imperium Romanorum"). I was thoroughly converted to this, and remembering this website's liking of ancient or at least non modern terms for it's forum headings, i wondered what you people and admin would think if i suggested that "Basileia Romaion" was incorporated into the Postilla Historia Romanorum title or description somehow, instead of Byzantine. I know it's a greek term, so i was thinking of not bothering, but i decided to anyway.

So, what do people think? Yes it's nit-picking, but it's a thought....

I like most others agree that the term 'Byzantine' is a misnomer. You'll notice that it is surrounded in quotes when referenced on this site (simply to indicate that what it is known as and not necessarily a correct term).

I got the opportunity to speak to a teacher eminent in the subject, and when i did, i immediately got my head bitten off for calling it the "Byzantine" Empire.

Then you should have told His Eminence to lighten up and feign some professional ettiquette. If he "bit your head off" for something so trivial, he needs to get out of his cloistered world and find something really worthy of offense. :ph34r:

Ah ok, fair enough. As i said, it was just a thought :ph34r:

From what i grasped, this teacher was a bit of a perfectionist, which is why he probably insisted on the usage of that title.

Edited by Tobias

The Byzantines refered to themselves as "Romaoi" (sp), i.e. Romans.

Edit

Coversation with greek friend

[12:03] Me: how would you say romans in greek, romaoi?

[12:03] Friend: sure... note that "oi" = "ee", long-e sound

[12:04] Me: so our "oy" sound is completely bogus?

[12:05] Friend: that wouldn't be right

[12:06] Me: Perioikoi would be perieekee

[12:07] Friend: yeah, if you want the pronunciation to match the greek word

Edited by P.Clodius

The forum for what the name suggestion was for is about life after the Roman empire in general, not only the byzantine empire, so it would be misleading, however if that forum gets busy enough a sub forum could be easily created that would be then all about the byzantine empire and therefor could be named without problems basileia Romaion...

regards

viggen

The forum for what the name suggestion was for is about life after the Roman empire in general, not only the byzantine empire, so it would be misleading, however if that forum gets busy enough a sub forum could be easily created that would be then all about the byzantine empire and therefore could be named without problems basileia Romaion...

That's what i thought when i was thinking about the subject; we talk about the nations that sprung up i place of Rome, effects on Europe etc, not just the Byzantines, so it probably is better to keep it the way it is and leave the Basileia Romaion until later...