UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"the Dying Gaul"

Pantagathus

Thanks to my Saturnalia Giveaway book, this sculpture was brought to my attention and so I wanted to pass it along. (Some of you have no doubt seen it before)

It is a Roman copy of a bronze statue from Pergamum commemorating Attolos I victory over the Gauls who had invaded Asia Minor in 239 B.C.

Full Statue

Closeup of his face...

I particularly hope rvmaximus enjoys this... :rolleyes:

This portrait always elicted my sympathy for the Gauls more than my contempt for their weakness. How do you think Romans reacted?

I agree & I think that is what the original sculpter had in mind. It was apparently quite a revolutionary humanitarian depiction for the time.

So I imagine an ordinary Roman would feel sympathy where if it was viewed by a Legionary who fought them would feel contempt.

However, wasn't this found in Sallust's garden?

This portrait always elicted my sympathy for the Gauls more than my contempt for their weakness. How do you think Romans reacted?

I agree & I think that is what the original sculpter had in mind. It was apparently quite a revolutionary humanitarian depiction for the time.

So I imagine an ordinary Roman would feel sympathy where if it was viewed by a Legionary who fought them would feel contempt.

However, wasn't this found in Sallust's garden?

Every time I see that piece I can't help but envision a young Michelangelo (and other members of the Renaissance cultural set) being inspired by it. Obviously one intention of the Renaissance was a renewal of classical art, but the style is so strikingly similar I'm still amazed by it.

The Empire of Pleasures also has a lot to say about the relative physiques of the empire-though I didnt mention that in the review.

"Large greasy Gauls" seem such a commonplace as to almost stereotypical

Edited by Pertinax

http://www.sculpturegallery.com/sculpture/dying_gaul.html

They have this description of the source:

"The Dying Gaul depicts a wounded Celtic warrior who lies upon the earth awaiting death. It was found in the gardens which had belonged to Sallust, a Roman historian. The statue is a Roman copy of one of the bronze statues dedicated at Pergamon by Attolos I in commemoration of his victories over the Gauls who had invaded Asia Minor in 239 B.C. Fourth and fifth century Greek sculpting had never depicted such a subject. It must have been a startling innovation at the time of its creation. The moustache, matted hair and twisted collar identify the warrior as a barbarian. He supports himself on one arm as his strength ebbs away. With the realism characteristic of Hellenistic art, his skin appears hard and dry, the muscles heavy in contrast to the ideal Greek type. Blood oozes from the open wound. However, the sculptor introduces these realistic touches with artistic restraint. Such details only make the artist's intent more clear. It is a concept that goes beyond physical pain to speak of the anguish of defeat which destroys the spirit rather than the flesh."
Edited by Favonius Cornelius

http://www.sculpturegallery.com/sculpture/dying_gaul.html

They have this description of the source:

"The Dying Gaul depicts a wounded Celtic warrior who lies upon the earth awaiting death. It was found in the gardens which had belonged to Sallust, a Roman historian. The statue is a Roman copy of one of the bronze statues dedicated at Pergamon by Attolos I in commemoration of his victories over the Gauls who had invaded Asia Minor in 239 B.C. Fourth and fifth century Greek sculpting had never depicted such a subject. It must have been a startling innovation at the time of its creation. The moustache, matted hair and twisted collar identify the warrior as a barbarian. He supports himself on one arm as his strength ebbs away. With the realism characteristic of Hellenistic art, his skin appears hard and dry, the muscles heavy in contrast to the ideal Greek type. Blood oozes from the open wound. However, the sculptor introduces these realistic touches with artistic restraint. Such details only make the artist's intent more clear. It is a concept that goes beyond physical pain to speak of the anguish of defeat which destroys the spirit rather than the flesh."

Thanks for helping out with my question guys. :)

• 2 weeks later...

To start with an anecdote:

This statue is one of my favorites and when in Rome I always go to see it in the Capitoline Museum, as well as visiting the Room of Emperors. As some friends and I were standing looking at this statue, an American (sorry but it's true) passed by and muttered - clearly intending to be heard, "If I looked at a naked guy in a locker-room like that, they'd say I was gay!!"

So much for appreciation of art!!

As to the statue, I did some research on this several years ago. I found a very old (late C19th, I think) book on the sculptures in the Capitoline, which showed the extent of restoration on the "Gaul" which was extensive. thus, I suspect that much of its "look" today may be contaminated by C19th taste. You might want to take that into account.

I find it interesting these days to see busts where "modern" noses have been removed and we are not affected by this false sense of completeness. It changes the way we look at the piece.

I think the rest of the Pergamon Gauls (at least marble versions of them) are on display in other museums. The so-called "Ludovisi Gaul" is in the Terme, Rome and shows a warrior committing suicide after killing his wife. others are in Venice, Naples and the Louvre.

RRR Smith "Hellenistic Sculpture" (Thames and Hudson 1991) discusses the group and has ideas as to how they might originally have been grouped.

I find the statue of the Dying Gaul one of the most beautiful and moving from any age, He is up there, for me, with the David and the Prime Porta Augustus. And i don't care what impression I give as i look at him!!

Phil