UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Mexico Pressuring Austria For Aztec Headdress

Mexico plans to press Austria once again to return a centuries old bejewelled feather headdress now in an Austrian museum, Foreign Minister Luis Ernesto Derbez said on Thursday. "It is an archaeological piece of incalculable value for the history of our nation," said Derbez at a news conference. President Vicente Fox will personally ask for its return at a summit of Latin American and European leaders in Vienna in May if there is no progress before then.

full article at Reuters

(i have seen those feathers in the Museum in Vienna, they are beautiful, here are some pics)

Not surprised by any of this... there is a pleathora of artifacts and priceless art and archeology treasures that currently sit in museums in London, Paris, Berlin and New York... though more so in London and Paris. So much taken back for study yet never returned...

Heh. In some cases, those stolen treasures are probably better preserved in the museums of the imperialist countries than in the countries of origin.

There was a thread a while back on this forum about some ancient Obelisk Mussolini stole from the Etheopeans. The Italian goverment returned it - and now it's sitting in a crate somewhere guarded by some village boy, as the home country can't get its act together.

Likewise, the Greeks want the British Museum to return the remains of the Parthenon. Given the historical antipathy of the Greek Orthodox Church to pagan relics, and given that church's influence in Greek society, I feel more comfortable if the Parthenon relics remain in London. :-)

Yes there is an element of fashion about this sort of thing, The Elgin Marbles were lucky not to be ground up for concrete in the hands of the Orthodox Church. Greece should praise Britain for saving a cultural item it would have thrown away. And on a lighter note I thought " how has Mexico got a hairdresser into diplomatic difficulties in Austria of all places?" Thes new spex are taking some geting used to. :ph34r:

You know, Mexico has much more important problems to deal with other than artifacts. I mean smuggling artifacts is bad, but then trafficking drugs/illegal immigrants is worse, which they should really be dealing with and in my own view, America should keep building the massive steel barriers along the border.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

how has Mexico got a hairdresser into diplomatic difficulties in Austria of all places?"

If i understood your statement correctly, than you are asking why does the country of Austria have Mexican pieces.

Austria ruled over mexico for a short period. I believe (not very sure) it was kaiser maximilian. So maybe the Austrians have this piece from that period.

actually it got to austria much earlier

After the slaying of Montezuma during the Spanish invasion of Hernando Cortez, the crown was confiscated by the Spaniards. The gold helmet was melted down into bars and the feathered head piece was sent as a present to Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain (known there as Charles I) 1500-1558. Charles V was also the Archduke of Austria where the Hapsburg dynasty had their residence.

so i believe the artifact is now already longer in austria then it has ever been in mexico...

regards

viggen