UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Failed Plots

tflex: - Again Phil, thats your own personal opinion not a historical fact, it's called a cheap shot.

As Phil started the statement with "But I don't think" he seems to already know it's his personal opinion, it's no cheaper than anyone elses opinion is it ???

Sorry, you are right. It's just that in another thread he did not use the word "think" for the same remark. Anyhow, I'm sorry I guess I took the cheap shot this time.

Hail Caesar!!!!

Edited by tflex

All my arguments and points are "my humble opinion" - how could they be anything else?

What is history but subjective interpretation and opinion? There is NO objective history. EH Carr made that point decades ago.

The only point in using boards like this is discussion - hence anything I say is there to be argued against, and tested against the views of my peers (other posters here)? That's the only reason I post here. So what's the problem?

By the way, what have I done or said in a month on this board that makes you think I am so arrogant that I need to be told what you told me? If you disagree, or think I am a fool, then the way to proceed is surely to show how my argument is flawed or my facts wrong - is that not so. But you did not do so. why?

Is it that you don't like my view but cannot argue against it for some reason? I frankly doubt that.

Only a day or so ago it was pointed out that I had got the name of Caligula's horse wrong (I wrote Cincinnatus when it was actually Incitatus!!! I readily admitted my error. So why this attack?

I often include a phrase like "it's just my my opinion", "I think" or "IMHO" (in my humble opinion) in my posts, but it get's boring and limiting to do it every time. I take the view that others capable of posting here are also capable of appreciating that anything said here is a personal opinion. Is that not so? Do i have to spell it out each time for the juvenile?

Finally, if my posts offend, I am happy to withdraw from this site. It is quite possible that i have intruded on a clique, or been too forceful, or unintentionally am arguing in a way at cross purposes with this largely excellent site? Is that what you want me to do tflex??

Sorry to others for this off-topic post, but I think it had to be said. Now back to the discussion!!

E-mail me if you have a problem or want to respond tflex, so that other posters are not disrupted. (Perhaps in doing so you can explain to me what an "historical fact" is.)

Phil