UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Find Tomb Under Roman Forum

Denec

Archaeologists digging beneath the Roman Forum have discovered a 3,000-year-old tomb that pre-dates the birth of ancient Rome by several hundred years.

State TV Thursday night showed an excavation team removing vases from the tomb, which resembled a deep well.

Archaeologists were excavating under the level of the ancient forum, a popular tourist site, when they dug up the tomb, which they suspect is part of an entire necropolis, the Italian news agency ANSA reported....

[edited out bad link and added partial story text, PP]

This is nothing new, prehistoric graves have been found in the Forum area since at least the C19th. As I recall many of the finds are in the Forum Museum (if that is still open!!).

In the earliest times there were settlements on the Capitol and the Palatine and the Forum area was common to both. I'm sure Michael Grant discusses it in book on the Roman Forum.

In republican and imperial times burial within the city limits - the pomerium - was, of course, illegal (Trajan was a sole exception).

Those who have been to Rome may also recall a tiny basement-like structure beside the temple of Antoninus and Faustina - sometimes referred to as the "brothel". This is, I think too quite early.

No surprises in this find though.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...