UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What To Bring With You?

Pantagathus

A strange person knocks on your door and says they are there to bring you back 2000 years in the past to somewhere in Roman territory. Like Arthur Dent, you are in your night clothes...

You are to be given a decent allowance of coins to procure local goods when you arrive but you are also allowed to bring with you you three things from inside your house matter what it is. However, that includes any extra article of clothing beyond your nightclothes and a pair of socks.

You have 10 minutes to decide! What will those three things be?

Keep in mind, you could be going to Britain in the winter or North Africa in the summer!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could only wish they did though for convenience of the trip I have to make to a place where I'll forever be stuck without junk food.

I never specified how long but do not consider it a one way ticket. I'm sure with all the currency you are equiped with you could find some ancient tidbits that could fill the void during your stay?

The location would matter a great deal. I don't mean in a sense of environment but will we be placed in a town or in the middle of nowhere... or we simply don't know?

At any rate, I am bringing some hiking books, a compass and a large backpack. I just hope the locals don't string me up when they get a load of me in my 'nightclothes' ;)

Lol I'm with PP on this one.

Modern electronics would be useless. So there's no point in bringing a camara, a phone, a cd player, or whatever. There's no electricity or batteries in Rome.

I'd bring my longbow and arrows, and something to carry anything I got in. I'd find a map when I got there since a modern map wouldnt mean much.

Edited by Lost_Warrior

At any rate, I am bringing some hiking books, a compass and a large backpack. I just hope the locals don't string me up when they get a load of me in my 'nightclothes' :)

P-P,

You and I are on similar pages... I know for sure I'd bring my boots. I'm thinking that I would instinctively reach for one of my really good raincoats just in case I do end up in the middle of nowhere in Germania or Britain or in Cisalpine Gaul... And hey, if we end up intown somewhere then I can just buy all new stuff anyway.

The Backpack I might forgo for a ancient alternative but I consider the 10 minutes not up yet... ;)

I would definitely shy away from 'shelf life limited' things. As much as I would want a camera, the batteries are going to die eventually. So would I be better served with a good sleeping bag or sunglasses in the long run? Probably.

I know for the heck of it I would learn to answer (in numerous tongues) the question always posed Odysseus:

"Where are you from? What is your Father's name and What ship brought you here?"

The Backpack I might forgo for a ancient alternative but I consider the 10 minutes not up yet... :)

I was actually torn between a raincoat and the backpack, but I'm concerned with the comfort and effectiveness of ancient alternatives. Ahh sunglasses or a hat of some sort might be a good choice as well. Maybe I sleep in my hat? ;)B)