UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Which Province Was Most Valuable To Rome

So which province does everyone think was the most valuable/profitable/sustainable/et alia to Rome? I have my bet on Sicily because its smack-dabbed in the middle of Noster Mare, so its obvious a bunch of trade has to go through there from Anatolia, Syria, Aegyptus, and so forth. Plus it was quite relatively peaceful and easy to sustain since it was out of the political spotlight after the days of the 2nd Triumvirate.

Although it was a bad recruiting ground, it was one peaceful and prosperous province.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

If there was I did not see it...

I'm going to say it depends on the time frame. Obviously over time with the acquistion of new provinces, older ones which were before the most highly valuable soon fell away and newer ones became top priority.

Though, all in all, I think I'm going to vote for Africa, since while Egypt was a major source of Grain, it was more so for the Eastern provinces than Rome herself, once Africa was lost to the Vandals, (and shortly for a time when the governor switched sides to the Eastern Roman Empire than the Western during the crisis of the early 5th century when the west and east were on the verge of war), Rome suffered immensely, and was in a serious crisis because she did not have the grain necessary to support her.

Italy was the most important :)

Depends on the time frame and for whom.

As tax money, natural riches, crafts and trade Siria and Egypt were the most important. Because Syria was on the parthian border and the start of the silk road I think it was more important then Egypt.

From a military point I think the regions on the middle Danube were critical as were close to Rome with harsh weather and dangerous enemies.

For the longest time Egypt was vital for it's grain production which basically fed much of Italy and I believe supplied the grain for the public dole. Armenia and Cappadocia were strategically important being at the source of the Euphrates and Tigris rivers--important avenues of approach for incursions into Parthia. In the later empire Carthage (Africa Proconsularis) performed the same function of supplying grain as Egypt for the Western Empire. In Late Antiquity Dalmatia and the Pannonias were major sources of recruits for the Roman armies.

Agree again. However, the stability of egypt and its produce was of enormous benefit to Romes burgeoning population. It should be remembered the climate was wetter 2000 years ago and crops were easier to grow than now. If I remember right, Sardinia had a very nasty culture (even for roman tastes) and output wasn't guaranteed. Wasn't there a pirate problem in Sardinia?

I am selecting Africa as the most important for the sake of discussion, though I don't know if such a label can truly be applied. Africa was not only a major granary but its conquest (along with Hispania) is what transformed Rome into an empire and a world power.

Asia Minor was perhaps the most prestigious and brought great wealth into Rome, Egypt was comparable to both Asia and Africa for contributions of wealth and grain, various frontier provinces offered buffers for the 'Italian' heartland, Britain and Hispania brought great mineral contributions, etc., the Hellenized east continued Rome's cultural advancement, etc., but without the conquest of Carthage, I suppose the others may have been moot?

You cannot have a true Roman Empire without Italia. It all starts there.

At any rate, it is also well cultivated and populated, probably a majority of the best minds are there as well as the beating heart of the Empire's administrational infrastructure.