UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"oven Men"

I read in a book on the Roman military (I'd have to look up the book again now as it is not a part of my collection) about a section of Roman cavalry jokingy called "oven men" (possibly cataphracti) because of their heavy armor. They wore tall pointed helmets and heavy chainmail armor, causing them to resemble a giant chainmail starfish somewhat :unsure: (at least in the picture offered in the book) and their horses were very heavily armored. I have not seen them in any other book however, and I was wondering if anyone here knew any more about them?

try "Romes Enemies " (3) Parthians and Sassanids (Osprey Men at Arma series), this will give you the lead into the subject.The allusion to the "clay oven" pun is given in that volume.Witness the splendour of the Sassanid Clibanaphoroii!

I have seen these - but I don't remember the details. I suspect they were auxillaries though. The only romans I know of who armoured themselves like this were the crupellarii - and they were gladiators.

Ive put an illustration of the Clibanarius in the gallery area.

GOT IT!

(caldrail jumps up and down on seat excitedly)

The answer is the Clibanarii, introduced by the emperor Constantius in the style of the persian cataphracts

Oh darn, beaten by seconds.... :)

Edited by caldrail