UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Princeps' Song O' The Day

Princeps

Ok, I shall reccomend a new song to my friends at UNRV every day. I reccomend you download these songs from a legitimate source like itunes. You will not regret it if you enjoy music, as I have a diverse collection of tunes.

Todays tune "Gnarls Barkley - Crazy"

A funky tune if ever there was one. I think it's about an ex-lover, though I may be wrong, as I tend to project my own feelings onto tunes a lot of the time. 8/10 - A low-tempo dance beat with violins, slap bass, and a soulful voice singing.

Edited by Princeps

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockers Hifi - What a life

You can be the narrator - never the destroyer, more the creator. This is quite old-school, I must have been about 12 years old when I first heard it. 8/10 - An uplifting tune with a message

(you may have to search "basketball diaries", since the soundtrack to the movie is where most people know this track from)

Johnny Cash - Hurt

I'm not the greatest fan of country music in general, but this is a classic. I believe he wrote this just before his death - it's about his wife, she died a short time before Johnny Cash died. The Lyrics are top notch and the simple tune is very stirring, especially the guitar. 8/10 - It could be longer, and could definately use some bass drum overlaying the piano at the end.

Johnny Cash - Hurt

I'm not the greatest fan of country music in general, but this is a classic. I believe he wrote this just before his death - it's about his wife, she died a short time before Johnny Cash died. The Lyrics are top notch and the simple tune is very stirring, especially the guitar. 8/10 - It could be longer, and could definately use some bass drum overlaying the piano at the end.

Sorry, hun, but it's originally a Nine Inch Nails song, one of Trent Reznor's best IMO...Johnny heard it, and wanted to redo it. But both are indeed classics.

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt

Wow, what can I say, this is better than the cover I mentioned. I cannot praise it any more highly than that. It even has the bass tones at the end of the tune. 8/10 - Not one for the shuffle mode at gatherings, and the protracted ending is messing with my mp3 player.

Also, at the rate of 1 tune a day this thread will takes at least a few years and run into hundreds of posts, so I will be doing 2 or 3 per day.

Beck - Broken Drum

Beck has loads of good tunes in his catalogue, I'm sure he'll make a few appearances in this thread. 7/10 Na na naa naa naa naaaa, good guitar riff throughout and and Beck's unmistakable drawl, couldn't ask for more.

Jungle Brothers - True Blue

Classic hip-hop dance fusion. Forget your 50 cent ****, this is real hip-hop. I reccomend you start with the Aphrodite mix and then try the others. All of them. 9/10 (Note, possibly offensive lyric near the end).

U2 - Bloody Sunday

U2 are truly the kings of rock. One of their earlier tunes, this is an absolute classic. 8/10 - Certain political overtones don't manage to spoil this track

Edited by Princeps

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt

Wow, what can I say, this is better than the cover I mentioned. I cannot praise it any more highly than that. It even has the bass tones at the end of the tune. 8/10 - Not one for the shuffle mode at gatherings, and the protracted ending is messing with my mp3 player.

Also, at the rate of 1 tune a day this thread will takes at least a few years and run into hundreds of posts, so I will be doing 2 or 3 per day.

Told ya :)

U2 - Bloody Sunday

U2 are truly the kings of rock. One of their earlier tunes, this is an absolute classic. 8/10 - Certain political overtones don't manage to spoil this track

This and Pride (In The Name Of Love) are the best of the old school U2...and 2 of my all-time favorite tracks.

This and Pride (In The Name Of Love) are the best of the old school U2...and 2 of my all-time favorite tracks.

For old school U2 I like "Where the streets have no name".....also the Pet Shop Boys version.

For old school U2 I like "Where the streets have no name".....also the Pet Shop Boys version.

PSB version is very good...'The Joshua Tree' I count as more modern U2...they're not so political, and more 'pop' in their lyrics. From that era: "One", "Beautiful Day" and "Mysterious Ways" are the top 3, although there's room for many more to sneak in.

'The Joshua Tree' I count as more modern U2...they're not so political, and more 'pop' in their lyrics.

Fair enough

My fave newer U2 would probably Wild Horses and Ultraviolet.

Ah, rock fans eh? My personal favourite u2 tune is "with or without you". If you like u2 you will enjoy todays first sugestion.

Muse - Hysteria

Don't know what happened to Muse, I haven't noticed anything new from them since their debut album. What they have produced, though, is some damn fine modern rock music. This is my favourite Muse track.

8/10

I especially like the video they made for this.

Dirty Vegas - All or Nothing

I love most of the tracks from Dirty Vegas' self-titled album. Their mellow style of house music is good for most occasions, from laid back solo listening to all out club nights.

8/10

Not everyone appreciates the virtues of house.

Another note - I am running this thread on another forum too. I have decided to cut and paste, please ignore any repetitions. I will edit out any profainity etc but if you notice any please inform myself or a mod asap.

Edited by Princeps

Fine Young Cannibals - She drives me crazy

They only had 2 big hits as far as I can remember. To be honest though, even if they just had this one it would be good enough for me. Possibly my favourite 80s pop song.

8/10

(Known as "English Beat" in the U.S)

Kings of Leon - Bucket

As far as guitar bands go, these guys are awesome. Slightly better than The Strokes imo, because their songs are more varied. They've all got long hair too, something I've never been able to achieve.

8/10

Fine Young Cannibals - She drives me crazy

They only had 2 big hits as far as I can remember. To be honest though, even if they just had this one it would be good enough for me. Possibly my favourite 80s pop song.

8/10

(Known as "English Beat" in the U.S)

Fine Young Cannibals were known as that in the US; "English Beat" I believe was the US name for the UK group "The Beat.

And I agree with "She Drives Me Crazy"...always gets me bebop'ing in my seat.

:P I thought that was a bit strange, someone told me that they changed their name, I just assumed some focus group had advised it. Do you like the Smiths or Morrissey docoflove? I was thinking about adding a few 80s tunes to the list.

The Source - You've got the love

This tune is kind of a fusion between Moby and Snap, I never get bored of this track, it has everything I like. I think it was ahead of it's time.

9/10

Blur - End of a century

Damon Albarn is a total genius, his work in his new band just gets better and better. This song brings back fond memories, it reminds me of summer as a youth.

8/10