UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Travel To Places Of Historical Interest

Aphrodite

I'd really like to hear about places you have been and would reccomend to your fellow history buffs!

I'm going to Greece in three weeks time, and I'm rather excited as i love it there, i'm going to athens, olympia, delphi and corinth, also hoping to have time to visit Mycene!

I have visited already, last summer infact, and I would do nothing but sing it's praises to anyone! The Acropolis was amazing, and i was lucky enough to go and watch the balet in the ancient herodicus-atticus theatre. From athens we traveled onto the greek island of Santorini, and visited ancient Akrotiti where those beautiful wall frescos were discovered in a 4000 year old town that was buried under volcanic ask, much like pompeii but far older.

Where have you all been to? And where would you most liek to go?

I'd really like to hear about places you have been and would reccomend to your fellow history buffs!

I'm going to Greece in three weeks time, and I'm rather excited as i love it there, i'm going to athens, olympia, delphi and corinth, also hoping to have time to visit Mycene!

I have visited already, last summer infact, and I would do nothing but sing it's praises to anyone! The Acropolis was amazing, and i was lucky enough to go and watch the balet in the ancient herodicus-atticus theatre. From athens we traveled onto the greek island of Santorini, and visited ancient Akrotiti where those beautiful wall frescos were discovered in a 4000 year old town that was buried under volcanic ask, much like pompeii but far older.

Where have you all been to? And where would you most liek to go?

Mistra, near Sparta. This is definitely one for the 'Postilla', since it's a ruined Byzantine city. You can stand in the cathedral on the very stone, carved with the two-headed eagle, on which the 13th century emperors stood when they were crowned. It's much more peaceful than the Acropolis of Athens.

Not that I'm knocking the Acropolis. After your necessary visit there, relax in the evening at the Vrettos distillery in Kydathenaion street in the Plaka, taste from the cask and buy in their home-labelled bottles. This shop looks as though it hasn't changed in a century. The labels appear to have been printed by an amateur lithographer about 60 years ago.

uhmm, i have been to many places but only recently i made little field notes with pictures for Unrv.com

I made one from (probably) Noreia and Aguntum, both fascinating little places from the past...

This year, I am defenitely going to make a day trip to the former capital of Noricum "Virunum" and maybe i get a chance to make a trip to Aquilea, if so i will of course make some photos for the site...

cheers

viggen

Thanks for the tips Andrew_Dalby, I will bear them in mind...

Viggen, i just read and enjoyed your field notes, maybe when i get back from my trip I could upload the report i have to write for uni, and of course share the pics!