UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

How Did Rome Do It

thamistocles

Romans do it better.

Someone needs to print that on a T-Shirt.

I still like Pertinax's idea of a t-shirt: The Caelian Bread-bakers Guild--Real Roman bread for real Romans.

Perhaps an alternative would be " beer and butter" for true Gauls?

I was in all seriousness considering an attempt at a t shirt print-I have made them before from edited photos-I found the difficult part was getting a decent base colour and hard wearing cloth.My thought was to get a screenshot of Mr Mcneice declaiming in the forum and adding the Caelian slogan.Hmmm...

Rome was not... well lets just say I know alot about rome but I still don't know how the heck did rome become the greatest empire (opinion) known to man. and also where did the soldiers come from anyway please answer these questions Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did the soldiers come from? The simple answer is that they were levied. All the territory under Rome supplied these levies.

@thamistocles

If you would have made an effort to look around this forum at topics like this:Legions Become Majority Non-italian and others, you would have found all the answers.

Chill out Leg X ! He could have waded through masses of posts, but I don't have a problem with him just asking the question.

Rome was not... well lets just say I know alot about rome but I still don't know how the heck did rome become the greatest empire (opinion) known to man. and also where did the soldiers come from anyway please answer these questionsPlease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did Rome do it? Well you have to realise they very nearly didn't, more than once. What they did was respond to every threat with everything they could manage, learning from their mistakes, learning from their competitors, organising their efforts, exporting their culture as a package - take it or leave it - your choice. Romans responded aggressively by manipulating other states politically for their own ends and absorbing them for personal gain as well as imperialism.