UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Byzantine Imperial Women

Yeah I know but I read some stuff at the end of the book were she got her base for the novel I might try reading some of those.

Now you're heading in the right direction. You might as well start first with the ancients to get a feeling for how the Boudica events were reported then...

Tacitus Annals book XIV (about half way in)

Cassius Dio Book LXII

Jerusalem once had a female ruler,Melisende and her husband Fulk of Anjou became joint rulers in 1131 (she had ruled alone since 1129).Fulk was doing all the ruling but melisende wanted the power aswell.In the 1130's they had a war!and her forces won :D

after that it was her and not him who was doing all the ruling :D she was very much in charge.

William of Tyre wrote

He (Fulk)never tried to initiate anything, even in trivial matters, with out her knowledge.

Or something like that :D

She so liked the power she didnt want to give it up when Baldwin III (her son) hit his 16th birthday and reached his majority,he had to fight his mothers troops to get control of the crown,laying seige to her in the tower of David.Baldwin won but he didnt punish his mother,she then became one of his closest advisors.

Wiki link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melisende_of_Jerusalem

Now you're heading in the right direction. You might as well start first with the ancients to get a feeling for how the Boudica events were reported then...

Thanks very much i will read those as soon a possible!!! :D

Edited by AEGYPTUS