UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Speech Accent Archive

Viggen

Well if you are interested in language then you better check this site out, it is probably an english linguists dream come true (right, Mr. Dalby?)

http://accent.gmu.edu/index.php

fascinating that one text can sound so different so many times... (and it is all explained nicely and detailed)

cheers

viggen

Well if you are interested in language then you better check this site out, it is probably an english linguists dream come true (right, Mr. Dalby?)

http://accent.gmu.edu/index.php

fascinating that one text can sound so different so many times... (and it is all explained nicely and detailed)

cheers

viggen

Nicely done and very interesting, I've seen it before and they've really changed the site for the better.

Wish they'd show more varied American Southern accents. After living there for a decade and a half I've found that North Carolina accents vary from a distinct coastal region dialect to the mountain dialect, and a Tennessean sounds different from a South Carolinian.

Has anyone else living in the South found this to be true?

I find the Texas ones to be lacking...and the California ones only from the LA area! Gotta find a way to submit a recording to get NorCal represented!

Otherwise...ugh...I could spend DAYS on this site...awesome!

Very interesting, for Britain I had expected some more "heavy" regional accents, (geordie/scouse/brummie) all the recordings sounded like subtle BBC voice variations with a hint of the speakers underlying accent. A worthy resource though, the American variants of English are astounding.

Edited by Pertinax

I wasn't impressed with the british accents! They for some proper accents they need to get the yocals speaking, these folk all sounded like quite posh versions of the regional accent!

The welsh accent wasn't very strong at all, you should here my welsh mate chris speak, he's from the valleys and i can't understand a word he says half the time!

They also need some good northern accents on there, and a proper cockney. Why bother with one from East Anglia?!?!?!?

The staffordshire accent is spot on though I can confirm after living there most of my life, although i was born in Lancaster, which is in north england near manchester, and i now live in Birmingham.

They need a yam-yam black country accent! Yow alrioght? Where am ya? hehe!

Wish they'd show more varied American Southern accents. After living there for a decade and a half I've found that North Carolina accents vary from a distinct coastal region dialect to the mountain dialect, and a Tennessean sounds different from a South Carolinian.

Has anyone else living in the South found this to be true?

Being a North Carolinian living in Georgia, you are very correct Virgil. Even towns that may only be 40 miles away from each other have different, discernable accents.

Shelby, NC has a very distinct way of speaking....

There is no all incompassing "Southern" accent

Furthermore, Coastal Carolina & Coastal Virginia is in fact quite distinct as Virgil asserts.

Most of my relatives still have that accent and I think it's my favortive (& most debonaire) of American accents.

It's clearly heard on words like 'out' & 'trout'... The o's are long and rolling and u takes on a very dynamic w sound. The vowel pronunciation is awesome. I just can't describe it here.

I wasn't impressed with the british accents! They for some proper accents they need to get the yocals speaking, these folk all sounded like quite posh versions of the regional accent!

I was thinking that when listening to the various Scottish representations...I could understand them clearly, so I knew there was something wrong :P

Seriously...it's a great start, but it does need stronger examples of lots of areas.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this one http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/collections/dialects/

I used it while working on a thesis I had to write, the interesting thing is some of the clips were recorded in the 50s, before the relative "linguistic unification" that took place in the last few decades (well, that is what some people claim anyway, I don't know since I'm not a native speaker). Of course there are also recent recordings, so that one can make an adiquate comparison and notice the linguistic changes that affected the dialects of certain areas through the years.

the link wasnt functioning Silentium-can you retry/repost please?

I have to agree with Aphrodite as regards the British stuff, it all sounds very similar, with just a tinge of true accent.

Edited by Pertinax