UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I Made This Map, What Do You Think?

Thibodeau

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roman Syria has turned into Phoenicia. "Mesopotamia" - what is it? It`s not a Roman province. Roman Mesopotamia was completely different etc., etc., etc.

...I believe that Mesopotamia was indeed a province during the time of Trajan, Phil.

It is a good map, but it does perhaps lack a bit of detail. If the map represents territories that are only relevant to your class, then fair enough, but it doesn't give the best impression of the extent of the Roman Empire.

Otherwise, quite a fine map, well done sir!

Edited by Tobias

That is not a timeline, that is a map that includes no time, only the provinces and cities as they were between 500BC and 500AD, roughly. I had a list of provinces and I had to put them in a map.

Are all provinces in your list displayed on the map?

The only critique I can offer is that some of the region shading is perhaps a little too close to the color of the water, and that your Gallia Cisalpina is kinda small and way up in the Alps. I would label the entire area between the Alps and Apennines as Cisalpina - literally 'this side of the Alps'.

If you were to specifically map the province of Dalmatia, I would extend it inland a bit more since the province with the actual name of 'Dalmatia' (not jut the region) was essentially Lower Illyricum, extending all the way to Panonnia (Upper Illyricum) and Moesia - roughly to the Savus and Drinus rivers.

Only the northwest portion of Mesopotamia was ever annexed (briefly) but it did not extend west of the Euphrates. The area west of the Euprates belongs to Commagene/Syria or Armenia Minor/Cappadocia.

Thats the noticable stuff, without taking into account that quite a few of these places were not contemporary. Hope it helps. B)

Don't forget about the bodies of water such as the Mare Nostrum.

Actually, about Spain, the Roman Equivalent is Hispania, not Hispaniae. Pretty much else is if you are going to use the actual classical names of cities and places, don't mix it with the modern equivalents of english.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus