UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Apology Of The Crusades

Philhellene

I don't care for Kingdom of Heaven, Scott's least good film, let down by a weak leading actor and a strange attempt at the end to make some kind of political statement.

But to dismiss it as 'utter nonsense' is silly. Like most historical films, it plays with the truth but after all, it's not a documentary and the bare bones of the story are pretty close to the historical accounts. The Templars are portrayed quite accurately for instance. I thought the film had real potential. That it failed to live up to it's early promise makes it a poor film but it is no more nonsensical than Ben Hur or El Cid.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's the European's fault that Africa is a 'hell hole' because they didn't build infrastructure?

I thought things were starting to to lighten up ? There are some seriously polarised view points on this forum, and they will never come to an accord on certain issues.

Presenting the Crusades as a Noble venture into the Holy Land , as the Vatican seemingly does, is a far more accurate representation of History . However: The Crusades were Not entirely for such seemingly noble deeds. The East had taken city after city from the European Kings , tribute was forced on them. The Taxation by the Khalifs on the West was high. Even the slightest hint of a refusal to pay was met with a swift and bloody response. At the time, of the Crusades the East was , at least in the main, was a superior culture in technologies and artchitexture. Religion was the political tool of choice in both the East and west. It was a far bigger struggle than just a movement to regain a territorial right in the name of a sovereign.

But I do agree that the Vatican should counter modern day Muslim propaganda and anti-westernism.

I often find it strange , if not dangerous, that the elitist of the West should chose to remain silent of the constant bombarments of lies and propaganda waged on the western way of life and system by the third worlds political architects in general. I mean just look at the mass immigration of Islamic followers into the West since the end of WW II. Islam is a known religion that contradicts Christianity in the extreme, but still they, the western governments and thier camps, enforce immigration on the west as globalism and peace building propaganda. UnEmployment is High in Europe the work force aging and instead of adjusting the books through longer term financing which they alone control, they seek foreign workers whom they fail to employ. Workers who are on another historic faith who claim alliance to a God who cannot tolerate another. But Tolerance is the Word of the law from the Western leadership. Go figure!

regards,

I thought things were starting to to lighten up ?

Me too, funny how this thread is getting serious now that it has been moved to the After Hours Baths! :)

I aplogize for posing a serious question in this thread.

(Ack! I have Billy Joel in my head now!! We didn't start the fire....) :P

I don't care for Kingdom of Heaven

I at least found the Princess chick highly desirable.... -_-

Edited by Pantagathus

So it's the European's fault that Africa is a 'hell hole' because they didn't build infrastructure?

I thought things were starting to to lighten up ? There are some seriously polarised view points on this forum, and they will never come to an accord on certain issues.

That's part and parcel of t'interweb shurely?

As for the Europeans not building infrastructure, certainly Africa was not developed by the British in the same was as they improved (put that in quotes if it offends you) the east, but the real problem was the haste in which we left I think. And were the subject bnations of the empire really worse off under British rule? I think not. The real fault of the British was the racism endemic to all cultures/nations of the time. Thus India was not granted Dominion status, which would I think have cut a lot of nationalist support. And remember Ghandi and most other anti-imperialists had the benefit of European style education. It is testimony to the strength of imperial rule in india that only two regions broke away (pakistan and Bangladesh). In Africa, there were fewer large centres of population and tribalism still had (and has) a ferocious grip.

It is testimony to the strength of imperial rule in india that only two regions broke away (pakistan and Bangladesh).

Broke away?

I was under the impression that the British themselves carved that up when they left to keep the Muslims & Hindus from falling into civil strife?

1.Serious bit

With Pakistan and India we(Britain) wanted to get out without the house catching fire, and get out quickly. I believe we failed to have the guts to stay and make a proper settlement.

Niraud Chaudhri's book "Thy Hand Great Anarch" is the essential mould breaker for Europeans on a liberal guilt trip-they should be guilty , but about legging it before doing a proper job .Witness the icons of hippiedom demolished wholesale.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/020115577...glance&n=283155

2.Not so serious

ps: how is it that a mastodon has survived into a post apocalyptic scenario? is it a genetically engineered killer mastodon escaped from a jurassic park type scenario? Or a zombie mastodon? Explain yoursel Moonlapse.

Edited by Pertinax

You are correct FV -I should have said we didnt have the nerve to face them down as the country was weary of conflict.

Keep in mind that there isn't one Moslem nation or state with a significant Moslem population where a non-Moslem can practice his faith in peace. That whole Bosnia-Hertzgovina business started with Izabegovich attempting to set up a Moslem state. A statue of Mother Theresa can't be put up in Albania. Now that the shoe is on the other foot in Kosovo, Serbs can't practice their faith, yet they never stopped Moslems from practicing theirs. The religon of 'Peace' beheads Christians in The Philippenes; hangs 13 year-olds in Pakistan; murders innocents in Indonesia; murder a film-maker in The Netherlands, and that is just for starters. They can practice their religion in any other land in peace. No one can be a non-Moslem in Saudi Arabia, yet they can come to the USA to gamble, booze it up and make loans at interest.

I don't want an 'apology' for that; it would not be worth the letters the word in composed of. Does the word JUSTICE mean anythiing?

It is testimony to the strength of imperial rule in india that only two regions broke away (pakistan and Bangladesh).

Broke away?

I was under the impression that the British themselves carved that up when they left to keep the Muslims & Hindus from falling into civil strife?

It was the Paki leader who wanted a separate Pakistan (east and west).

2.Not so serious

ps: how is it that a mastodon has survived into a post apocalyptic scenario? is it a genetically engineered killer mastodon escaped from a jurassic park type scenario? Or a zombie mastodon?

Oh poor misunderstanding Pertinax. As the post apocolyptic world heats up and the Cyborg wars spread into what we now consider cooler climates... the melted polar caps will reveal prefectly preserved Mastodons. The Martians in their infinate wisdom will have figured out how to revive these newly freed mammoths exactly as they were in the orginal state. Those Martians are ingenious. Maybe that's what will set off the Cyborg guilt-laden attacks in the first place?

Me too, funny how this thread is getting serious now that it has been moved to the After Hours Baths! rolleyes.gif

Obviously I am doing everything I can to continue delving into the absurd ;)

It was the Paki leader who wanted a separate Pakistan (east and west).

I apologize for being ill informed about the 20th Century politics of South Asia... ;)

and I apologize for being the only one in this thread still apologizing.

Edited by Pantagathus