UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Vin Diesel To Shoot ''Hannibal'' In The Caribbean

Viggen

The Hollywood actor Vin Diesel has decided to shoot some of the scenes in his planned movie Hannibal, an epic about the 3rd century famous Carthaginian general who led an army with elephants across the Alps in an assault on Rome during the Second Punic War (218-202 BCE), in the Caribbean, more specifically the Dominican Republic, after a four-year location hunt.

more at Bits of News

What can I say...

I plan on never, ever, ever, ever, ever seeing that movie

Should I be embarrassed that I find Vin Diesel entertaining? (Well I liked Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick anyway which are the only two of his movies that I've seeen).

I will see this movie out of morbid curiosity, but I expect to be horrified by the butchering done to history.

My guess is that the plot will include such hollywoodisms as...

Hannibal will single handedly slay most of the Romans at Cannae whilst also somehow using brute strength alone to stop a rampant elephant from trampling some innocent bystanders (perhaps punching it in the trunk or some such thing). One of these bystander will probably be an overly attractive Roman nymph who promptly pledges eternal love to the greatness that was Hannibal, yet will be tormented by the sight of so many of her fellow Romans giving their lives for the home that she adores.

LOL, that is bound to happen it, Primus

I had no idea that he had been location scouting fro 4 years, I thought he had already done filming, but then again I haven't been following the progress of the film that much. Personally I don't know what to make of it, but I remeber reading an interview with Vin Diesel where he stated that he was attempting to make the film as historically accurate as possible ( he even said he was going to use Mel Gibson's techniqe of using characters speaking ancient languages into the movie.) But with filming in the Caribbean that idea seems to have been thrown out of the window.

I can see the preview now :-

One man....against the might of an Empire....Vin Diesel is HANNIBAL !

(yes I know Carthage was an Empire too, but Vin won't)

I have to admit that I'll see it no matter how crap it looks :(

Hmm, it could be that Vin will take the crown for "Worst Possible Lead Actor For Any Historical Film" from Collin Farrell? I'll probably see 'The New World' expecting satisfying performances from the other actors, especially Christian Bale, but theres something about Collin's Burt-from-Sesame-Street-eyebrows and puppy dog eyes and perhaps resemblance to Scott Stapp (who is a complete tool, btw) when he has long hair that prohibits me from taking him seriously in any historical setting.

Anyways, the point was - while Vin might fit certain roles, I cannot imagine him with his cromagnon speak and bald plastic troll toy head to do justice for this role.

post-1-1160630497.ipb

Hannibal will be an expert in martial arts and will kill loads of romans with bear hands shouting "you keep what you kill!".

Who knows punic? How will they reinvent a language that it's hardly known?

Hannibal will be an expert in martial arts and will kill loads of romans with bear hands shouting "you keep what you kill!".

Who knows punic? How will they reinvent a language that it's hardly known?

There was a great History channel special recently about Hannibal where all the actors both Roman & Punic spoke in their respective tongues. How they reconstructed Punic for fluid speach I don't really know but there are expensive Punic grammar books out there...

I sounded real cool, more slick than Herbrew.

Yeah, Vin Diesel lets keep him with little kid and give him a pacifier :pimp: Anyways why do people hate the Carthaginians and Hannibal so much? Grant it this is a Roman forum and many ROmans are in this forum. Still the Romans attacked the Carthaginians, because they were becoming a 'power.' The Carthaginians never intruded to Roman lands, it was actually the other way around. Doesen't anyone have respect for Hannibal? I mean give the guy a break his father was killed by Romans and many influential people in his life were killed by them too. At the Battle of Cannae, that wasn't brutle it was basic war. As the saying goes, "the conquered weeps, the conquerer is undone." He did what he was supposed to, if he did not kill the people in Cannae they would have came back and killed him!

Anyways why do people hate the Carthaginians and Hannibal so much? Grant it this is a Roman forum and many ROmans are in this forum. Still the Romans attacked the Carthaginians, because they were becoming a 'power.' The Carthaginians never intruded to Roman lands, it was actually the other way around. Doesen't anyone have respect for Hannibal? I mean give the guy a break his father was killed by Romans and many influential people in his life were killed by them too. At the Battle of Cannae, that wasn't brutle it was basic war. As the saying goes, "the conquered weeps, the conquerer is undone." He did what he was supposed to, if he did not kill the people in Cannae they would have came back and killed him!

You confuse me.....who ever said they "hate" the Carthagenians and Hannibal ? Certainly not in this thread ?