UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Death

Jewish is not a race, but a religion. I have many friends that are jewish and they are proud of their professions. Also, I'm not saying all jewish people are businessmen, doctors and lawyers, but alot of them are and there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't know, I always thought "Jew" and "Jewish" described both, the religion is Judaism - where as the Oxford dictionary describes the term Jew as being :-

1-a person of Hebrew descent(clearly a racial group) or a person who's religion is Judaism.

And I know you're not saying all Jewish people are Doctors or Lawyers, you're just saying that more of them are as opposed to....some other racial or religious group.

but Cato was saying "higher education is correlated with more income and less religion (of any kind).", which I think is inaccurate.

Higher education correlated to more income is certainly true.

As to higher education correlated to less religion, there's been no evidence presented for or against, just statements, and I reserve my judgement.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, I always thought "Jew" and "Jewish" described both, the religion is Judaism - where as the Oxford dictionary describes the term Jew as being :-

1-a person of Hebrew descent(clearly a racial group) or a person who's religion is Judaism.

There are American, European, Middle Eastern, Persian, Latin, Ethiopian jews etc., so they can't be narrowed down into one race.

Higher education correlated to more income is certainly true.

Definately agree with that.

Edited by tflex

What the dictionary and I are saying, is that it can be either - defining those of Hebrew descent, or of those practising Judaism.

Either way, I see you meant the religion, so it's all good.