UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Portraiture Of Caligula In Right Profile- Ar Denarii: The Imagery

The Portraiture of Caligula in Right Profile- AR Denarii: The Imagery and Iconography

By Joe Geranio

For all photos for this article go to portraitsofcaligula.com (Basesclaudius tab)

For some time now I have been fascinated with the portraiture of Caligula in the round! He has typically been portrayed in the round (typology)1 , and his physiognomy. as follows, but first Most of these portraits are based upon official portraits, we can assume as Caligula (Princeps) wished to be portrayed some twelve to 30 sculptural likenesses of Caligula have survived,2 but these identifications can be quite subjective due to familial assimilation. Caligula

Hair low on the nape of the neck is, in my experience, a hallmark of statues of the family of Germanicus.

Gaius was SO hairy that he was nicknamed "the goat" - except that he was balding from an early age (a Julian trait?). I doubt any sculptures or coind would have shown THAT (the princeps was said to be sensitive about it!!). So portraits were probably not done from life - or if features were, they were fitted into an established icongraphy.

For instance, we know that Augustus and other rulers were distinguished by certain ways in which the hair curled - this differentiated images of members of the imperial family, and could be used by provincial sculptors.

Fascinating post though - well done.

Phil

Hair low on the nape of the neck is, in my experience, a hallmark of statues of the family of Germanicus.

Gaius was SO hairy that he was nicknamed "the goat" - except that he was balding from an early age (a Julian trait?). I doubt any sculptures or coind would have shown THAT (the princeps was said to be sensitive about it!!). So portraits were probably not done from life - or if features were, they were fitted into an established icongraphy.

For instance, we know that Augustus and other rulers were distinguished by certain ways in which the hair curled - this differentiated images of members of the imperial family, and could be used by provincial sculptors.

Fascinating post though - well done.

Phil

Great observations and I always have a problem with Ancient literary sources portrayal of Caligula? The hair low on the nape is a Germanicus, Nero Iulius, Drusus Iulius trait, but the configuration of locks from a frontal view (Unfortunately we do not have this till later in history for Roman coins) if you had a chance to look at the Copenhagen head frontal is pure Caligula, by the way the German Scholars are obssesed with Lockenthmethode or hairstyle before physiogonomy. This thought on the right profile is not earth shattering, but I believe die-engravers at some point had a rt. and left profile of a portrait in the round that was imperial commissioned and then copied, of course the portraits that are the nicest in my opinion come from Asia Minor (See the Getty Head of Caligula) I just hate to see the precious metals of Caligula have little iconographical value, when they really tried to follow the pincers and locks from extant portraits of Caligula. Now for the left profile we have to visit the bronzes, sestertii, aes, etc.......My research now wants to find if I can find a portrait in the round that agrees with coinage from a right and left profile!! I am a little obsessed with this, but I guess someone has to and the Julio-Claudians is a difficult field that I keep striving in.

Multa Cum Amicitia,

Joe Geranio

The Portraiture of Caligula

portraitsofcaligula.com