UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Food In Romano-britain

ncross

I have used a combination of written and internet resources to develop this page on 'Food in Romano-Britain'. I would appreciate a critical opinion of the accuracy of the information contained on the page.

http://resourcesforhistory.com/Roman_Food_in_Britain.htm

With the sources, which I had, available I found some conflicting information particularly in relation to what animals, vegetables and herbs the Romans brought to Britain. For example, there are many references to the Romans bringing rabbits to Britain but my schooling taught me that it was the Normans who introduced them. I would be grateful if you could support any opinions with good references.

It is intended to be used by a mixed audience but primarily school children.

Thank you.

Edited by ncross

Your page seems ok to me but im no expert,Andrew Dalby and Pertinax are the Food experts around here (you have a picture of one of Andrew's books on the page).

We did get taught that the Rabbit was a Norman introduction but new archeological evidence proves that the Romans brought them here.

BBC news

Edited by longbow

Thank you for your useful reply.

It seems strange that they did not know about the rabbbit's presence in Roman Britain before now given the rate at which it's population spreads. The article in the BBC's report was very useful in putting this question to bed. I wonder if there has been any new discoveries since that one was identified in 2004?

Is Andrew Dalby a member of this forum? I included his book because Sally Grainger who is the co-author used to conduct cooking demonstrations in the Roman Legionary Museum where I used to work. I haven't actually got a copy of it myself yet. I have a copy of the other book that I listed (written by Jane Renfrew) and I found that useful but it was not specific on what was introduced by the Romans.

Cheers

The article looks good-I might suggest that (as we have discussed on forum recently) it can be emphasised that the pre-invasion infiltration of Roman goods (and latterly Roman traders) was an important part of acculturation to Roman products ie: the tribal elites "buying into" quality goods even if profoundly anti-Roman in sentiment.

The rabbit business is interesting because the late Jack Hargreaves (Out of Town) used to discuss this very topic 30 years ago, the ferret as sporting and food seeking helper also appears to be a Roman introduction for the very purpose of ferreting out the coney (its anglo saxon name).It was the later assertion of Norman feudal law over wild creatures that alienated the animal from the ordinary man.

Ive tried to make some sense of the Roman/Celtiberian herbal medicine chest on my blog(cross linked to the gallery):

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...logid=19&&st=10

and to tie in the possible recipes for beer available to troops on Hadrian's Wall

Some of the recently (as yet uncatalouged ) food finds from the Carlisle dig bear out what you say about the wide range of meats used to supplement diet.

does that help at all?

Edited by Pertinax

Your comments were most useful Pertinax. In light of your suggestions, I have reworked the text to emphasise some important points which you made.

Can I pay thanks to you (as a member of UNVR) on my web page for your helpful suggestions?

p.s. I found your other articles useful also.

Thanks also to you, Pantagathus. I have PM'd Andrew Dalby as you suggested. He does sound to have rather a lot on his plate at the moment though.

You are welcome , please mention the site by all means , its good to draw interested Romanophiles of all ages to the UNRV.

Your page seems ok to me but im no expert,Andrew Dalby and Pertinax are the Food experts around here (you have a picture of one of Andrew's books on the page).

We did get taught that the Rabbit was a Norman introduction but new archeological evidence proves that the Romans brought them here.

BBC news

Roman rabbits were sensitive little creatures and something of an expensive delicacy. They certainly wouldn't have coped with the british climate in the wild. The norman version (re-introduced?) was a tougher beastie, and quite liked it here, breeding like.. rabbits... once they escaped captivity.

Edited by caldrail

I pondered that bunny weakness myself, however are we not told the climate was a litle milder in those halcyon Romano-British days? I have to say though that the Vindolanda/Luguvallum bone midden and ditch finds dont place rabbit too high up the dining order, lots of sheep ,goat and pig and anything that could be hunted shows up in abundance.

Here is a sad story about a cherished bunny :D

http://idler.co.uk/journal/?p=32

and here the bunnies strike back against Rome! and if that isnt bad enough click the "romans" link and check out the "gladiator" article,

http://heritage.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?ti...0&id=1821762005

Edited by Pertinax

Reading the culture and traditions page on that site and it appears the Scots are going to name the new waterfront in Edinburgh Via Albana or Via Romana :D .

Edited by longbow

and this is the end of that trail....

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?&autom...&cmd=si&img=739

I sense the note of puzzlement about my recent silence. Well, I did finally respond to ncross's message and look at the page (which I think is excellent) and made a couple of comments. True, things are busy here sometimes!

I ammended some points in response to Andrew's comments but the quality of his comments also led me to include many of them as footnotes to my article. So, if you revisit the web page you will find his and Pertinax's comments listed at the bottom of the page and a link to this Forum! Your comments have helped to enliven the article and to provide a greater credibility to it. A big thank you!

Edited by ncross