UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AEGYPTUS

Conn Iguldden's books

These books were fiction and were based loosely on his life.

The works of Conn Imakeitupasigoalong?

I read Conn Igguldens books. It is based on fact but the author bends the truth throughout the book to put it lightly. Although I would agree with Ciro a very good read. How many in that series think it is four.

I read Conn Igguldens books. It is based on fact but the author bends the truth throughout the book to put it lightly. Although I would agree with Ciro a very good read. How many in that series think it is four.

No, its fiction. His books are not intended to reflect accuracy and they clearly do not.

Conn Imakeitupasigoalong?

Such an apt description.

No, its fiction. His books are not intended to reflect accuracy and they clearly do not.

i've read all the books in the emperor series and found them very entertaining which i believe is what conn igulden intended them to be, yes the are VERY loosly based on fact and should not be used for historical reference but if you want a thrilling and action packed adventure through caesar's life then you wil not find a better read :rolleyes:

I picked up one of Conn Igetawaywiththistoshagain's books once.

Now I like good historical fiction, like some of Massie's Roman stuff (Augustus especially), Graves, George MacDonald Fraser, generally anyone who spins a good tale but keeps a grip on the history.

But Conn Igetanyworse I found truly dreadful.

I forget who said, 'this is not a book to be tossed aside lightly... it should be thrown with great force', but they could as well have been talking about any of these travesties.

On the bright side, they inspired the original poster to look further. Just goes to show not everything is all bad.

The book was perhaps "tossed off lightly?" as one might say?

I thought the one I read was ok (and I read a fair few books that I don't finish, judging them to be utter turds).

Anyone read Christian Jacq's Ramases series?

Yeah, can't remember them though, it was years ago.

I thought the one I read was ok (and I read a fair few books that I don't finish, judging them to be utter turds).

yes but it was awhile ago, will have to dig them out and have another look, very good from what i remember :lol:

Conn Imakeitupasigoalong?

Such an apt description.

Ah, definately can't disagree with that!

I've read the first three of Iguldden's books, and I liked them. The fourth is sat on my bookshelf waiting its turn. They are definately not bound tightly with history, but hey...they're novels. They're fun. And they can help you while away a five hour train journey.

They're worth a read IMO, but don't expect too much. The bit that really irritated me was the way that Brutus and Caesar grew up together...what?!? Now come on, I've read some random things in my time, but...heck! :blink: A whole new level of weird idea.

There is a genre emerging (perhaps it's been around a while) in which history is only taken as a starting point.

Harry Turtledove, for instance, writes great sagas of alternative history (a USA in which the North lost the Civil War and how that might have changed things). He does excellent research and roots his speculations soundly, but it is not an historical novel in the traditional sense.

GRR Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" series (fantasy) is based on the English "Wars of the Roses" (c 1455-1485ish) but set in a fictional country with fantasy elements and with changed names.

But I think Igullden's books (which I have not read) sound more like the way Hollywood would use history in the 50s/60s - look at Spartacus. Olivier's Crassus is more Sulla than the original. A "Gracchus" (Charles Laughton) is put in as the opposition. Caesar is a callow youth learning fast.

The BBC did a series about Elizabeth I recently that played fast and loose with history and costume.

While the movie "Elizabeth" (Cate Blanchett) ended with Burleigh banished (he served the Queen faithfully until his death and almost the end of her reign); Walsingham filling Burleigh's historic role (he died c 1592); and Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester cast off (again he was the Queen's favourite inn a complex relationship and a prominent player at court, until his death in Armada year.

Probably Igullden is transferring similar ideas to the novel - to provide excitement rather than accuracy.

My concern about the whole trend is that students and those who have no time of inclination to read more deeply, will grow up or develop a very warped sense of history.

Perhaps we are going back to a Shakespearean sort of concept, where his plays were performed for centuries in the dress of the day (no one was much interested in period costume) and as reflections of the concerns of the time of writing, rather than as explorations of a different time and place.

Just my thoughts,

Phil

how about getting mr. Iggulden on board to answer some questions? I might get him here if people would like to pick his brain :blink:

cheers

viggen

My concern about the whole trend is that students and those who have no time of inclination to read more deeply, will grow up or develop a very warped sense of history.

They don't have to read novels like Iggulden's or watch Braveheart for that to happen. There is plenty of rubbish on the internet that will misguide someone if they choose not to dig any deeper.