UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Sybilline Phrophecies

Gini

Does anyone know if the Sybilline prophecies quoted in I Claudius by Robert Graves are real or not?

e.g. as hundred years of the Punic curse

And Rome will be slave to a hairy man

A hairy man that is scant of hair

Every man's woman and each woman's man etc about Juilius Caesar and it goes on about all the other Caesars up to Nero

Edited by Gini

Does anyone know if the Sybilline prophecies quoted in I Claudius by Robert Graves are real or not?

e.g. as hundred years of the Punic curse

And Rome will be slave to a hairy man

A hairy man that is scant of hair

Every man's woman and each woman's man etc about Juilius Caesar and it goes on about all the other Caesars up to Nero

The original books are lost. The contents were closely guarded and only a select few were even allowed to view them at any given time. As I recall there are no surviving instances of the actual contents of the original prophecies since so few were privy to the contents. Any existing "Sybilline Prophecies" are the works of later Christian writers.

Sybilline Books from William Smith's Dictionary

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

primus is correct. the sybilline books were destroyed. you could read the aeneid (virgil) or the golden ass (apaulius) to get a better view of the goddess reverence and relevance to ancient history.

the worship of syble or cyble (it was initially a holy black stone) was brought to rome from another eastern culture and assimilated. this was something the romans were very good at, many cultural, religious and artistic and scientific aspects of Greece and Egypt especially were used in the roman world.