UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Dr. Hawass Calls For Return Of Stolen Artifact

tflex

It's hard to take you seriously when you ascribe collective racial accomplishments to yourself.

Suppose I say, "Thank God we made Stonehenge, that is one thing the Egyptians will never take with them." Do you see the nationalist/racist nature of this?

Moonlapse, the day we take Stonehenge is the day all things that belong to Egypt will come back. :P

Do you think Egypt is the first nation that has been through this? Greece complains of artifacts that had been taken away by England.

If you think that beeing a nationalist/racist, means to trying to protect all things that once belonged to a nation than so be it. I remember going into King Tut's tumb and finding his treasure's hold but not him. That is a terrible thing to see, no matter what nation you are from.

All the treasures of the world have been put into the mega museums in England and the Louvre in France. The next time anyone wants to take a trip to find 'ancient' Egypt just go to France or England. If you notice some Italian and Greek treasures well... Should Artifacts Return Home?

Clearly Egypt just wants things, even though it's not certain what it already has!!

Really, if your defending England's rights to hold it then that is just the pot calling the kettle black.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, you don't understand what I am saying. I'll say it blatantly if you like. Neither you, nor anyone else alive, has anything to do with the building of the pyramids. Also, the business of artifacts leaving their resting places can have just as much to do with the actions of the local population, as with foreigners.

I am not literally trying to say anything about Stonehenge, but replacing the words with ones relevant to my own race, to give an opposite viewpoint. In fact I'm not actually saying anything about the current topic; I'm criticizing your contribution to the discussion.

Let's face facts, and you seem a little confused about them, Ramses.

Greece complains of artifacts that had been taken away by England.

Lord Elgin (as an individual) SAVED the Parthenon marbles for posterity. he had authority to do so from the then legitimate and recognised government of Greece. neither the Turks, nor the Greeks at that time showed any interest in the remains on the Acropolis and they were used as an arsenal and blown up at one point.

Neither the Greeks nor the Egyptians, for most of their history since ancient times, have shown the SLIGHTEST interest in their past or in preserving what survivies. It's only now with resurgent nationalism and the lure of the tourist dollar that they begin to stir. Why should britain, France or any other western power, who rescued important pieces so that they can be appreciated today feel any guilt, or even consider returning the pieces?

If it had been left up to the indigenous peoples, these important artefacts would have been destroyed or sold abroad anyway. Too late to mourn now.

I remember going into King Tut's tumb and finding his treasure's hold but not him. That is a terrible thing to see, no matter what nation you are from.

Then your memory must be a little at fault, Ramses, as Tutankhamen's treasures are in the museum in Cairo, while his body (as I actually wrote only a few days ago!) is the only Pharaonic corpse to rest in his original tomb. So I don't see how your recollection can be correct.

Phil