UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Claudius' Invasion Of Britain.

WotWotius

Sorry to keep bothering you about my exams, but recently I have run into a rut. I can't seem to find much textual evidence for Claudius' invasion in 43 AD.

All I have is a quote from Suetonius: life of Claudius which refers to British fugitives (namely Verica) fleeing to Rome as a result of political unrest within the province. It was therefore Rome's policy to pacify this hostile area.

I have plenty of reasons (e.g. the need to produce a military victory in order to secure his position), but I just cannot seem to find much documentary evidence to back it up.

Could anybody help me, as my exam is tomorrow afternoon (GMT)

Sheppard Frere "Britannia " is quite good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0712650...glance&n=266239

I was reading the Julio-Claudian Invasion section and Icenii revolt yesterday and it would be worth a look.

Sorry, what i meant to say was I cannot find many textal sources which mentions Claudius' reasons for invading.

Ahh, well I believe this reason to be a bit shallow and not telling the entire story but...

From Suetonius Life of Claudius chapter 17

When the senate voted him the triumphal regalia, thinking the honour beneath the imperial dignity and desiring the glory of a legitimate triumph, he chose Britain as the best place for gaining it, a land that had been attempted by no one since the Deified Julius and was just at that time in a state of rebellion because of the refusal to return certain deserters

And the very first sentence of the previous from Cassius Dio

While these events were happening in the city, Aulus Plautius, a senator of great renown, made a campaign against Britain; for a certain Bericus, who had been driven out of the island as a result of an uprising, had persuaded Claudius to send a force thither.

Of course there were many more actual reason (too many to post). Though it seems strange that the sources only mention a few.

The quotes you have given me should be enough; I only need a few referneces to backup what i'm saying.

Thank you for your help.

Of course there were many more actual reason (too many to post). Though it seems strange that the sources only mention a few.

The quotes you have given me should be enough; I only need a few referneces to backup what i'm saying.

Thank you for your help.

Certainly. I think that what's happened here, like many other events in history, is that over time simple common sense or the awareness of the benefits of invasion in retrospect have been applied to these things rather matter of factly. It doesn't make them wrong, but they are not necessarily supported by any ancient text.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, what i meant to say was I cannot find many textal sources which mentions Claudius' reasons for invading.

Military credibility.

Claudius, as you no doubt know already, was given power by the praetorians after caligula was murdered. Up until that point claudius had been regarded as something less than a man, a loser, a buffoon. Caligula had made him consul but one wonders if he wasn't taking the mick when he did that. In order for Claudius to be taken seriously by the senate and the army, he needed military experience and a new conquest would look very good on his CV. Britain was ripe for conquest - Caesar had been there twice and caligula might have if he'd had more patience and maturity. Roman agents and traders had already been at work in britain for some time. It was an obvious choice.