UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Chalcidians, Hippobotae & Hippeis

Pantagathus do you recommend any particular map sources for this era?

Unfortunately Pertinax, there isn't really a handy map for the colonization era of 8th-6th Centuries, at least that I have come by. However, either of these two will help somewhat:

Map of the Ancient Greek World (interactive)

-and-

Map of Greece and her Colonies

Excellent, the first of these is just what I required.

However, what it is quite interesting that both the Chalcidian and Roman traditions seemed to occupy the second tier of that heirarchy. Hmm, do we have any evidence of similarity within Etruscan culture?

With the Chalcidians the Hippobotae were the first tier citizens, it was in Athens that the Hippei made up the second. And as I said it's tempting, but I also think it's just a curious cultural parallel.

The Etruscan issue is a good question I haven't looked into but if there was it could always be written off to the "Orientalizing" phase... Once again, it's a tempting supposition.

Oh, and I was just waiting for someone to make the Hippie joke... ;)

With the Chalcidians the Hippobotae were the first tier citizens, it was in Athens that the Hippei made up the second.

Ahh yes, I twisted your statement there... apologies.

Oh, and I was just waiting for someone to make the Hippie joke... ;)

Was too hard to resist.

Now for a bit of a tangent. Has there been a study of ancient horse populations? Obviously, the horse as a work animal and as a mode of transportation held immense value, but do we have any details on availability. Additionally, in the earliest times, we know that the Roman equites were granted allotment to purchase horses (equus publicus) presumably from the monarchy and later from the state itself. There were of course individuals who owned horses as well as those who owned stables etc., but did some horses remain as a portion of the ager publicus for any particular length of time. Livy goes into the politics of the Equestrian status of course, but I'm not able to recall any economic specifics.

Just one quick question. THe maps of Greece and her colonies do not show places such as Massalia. I always thought it was a Greek Colonie or was it one of the later Greek colonies?

Has there been a study of ancient horse populations?

This is of interest: Origins of domestic horse revealed

Most of what I've read states that horses made their way (trade wise) primarily from the Steppe folks into Europe via the Danube. In the case of Rome, it has been stated that most of their horses would have come from Celtic & Thracian/Dacian societies tapped into that network & independent Celtiberian - Lusitanian horse breeders.

Obviously, the horse as a work animal and as a mode of transportation held immense value, but do we have any details on availability.

In this case Kosmo is right. They were actually not valued as a work animal because the ancients never seemed to realize that yoking a horse in the same manor as oxen put pressure on the horse's windpipe and serious hampered their efficiency. Not to mention the fact that they hadn't figured out horseshoes either!

Asses it seems were more the personal transport animal of choice while ox drawn carts remained the primary workmobile.

Well you really do learn something new every day I was always under the impression that it was Greek do not know why lol :rolleyes:

It was... The Phocaeans were Ionic Greeks. Be careful not to confuse them with Phoenicians... ;)

Yes, but coincidentally they both had great sea faring skills.
But what... :unsure:

Interesting enough, in Pliny's treatment of horses (8.61 ~ 8.69), the only 'location' he singles out in reference to them is Hispania & Lusitania don't know whether that should mean that is where the most prized horses to the Romans came from or not...

Yes, but coincidentally they both had great sea faring skills.

But what... :unsure:

Interesting enough, in Pliny's treatment of horses (8.61 ~ 8.69), the only 'location' he singles out in reference to them is Hispania & Lusitania don't know whether that should mean that is where the most prized horses to the Romans came from or not...

I wonder if the "feed crop" item I alluded to in the "recipe" section has a bearing on the excellence of horses from this area?

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showto...amp;#entry37214