UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

How Do I Fix This?

Does someone know what to do about a webpage that...isn't the webpage it's supposed to be? I tried to go on a forum today, and it came up with the correct address in the address bar, but the wrong page. Now, only one other person has this problem. I was told that the page has been "hijacked" by something on my computer.

I have tried three programs: Adaware SE, Norton Internet Security, and Hijack This! and none of them managed to locate the problem.

Other than doing a system restore (which I don't want to do as it will erase everything on my comp and I don't want to go through setting up again) or switching to Linux (that one was my friend's idea) does anyone know what I can do?

I'm not too worried about the particular forum, but if it gets one of my two forums which I own, or the one I admin, I'm going to be SERIOUSLY upset.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

hello,

ok spyware can be a real pain in the ass, i had to deal with one a couple of weeks ago and it took me half a day to get rid of it (and i am by no means a novice when it comes to those things...)

First, to what page are you redirected when you try to go to your forum?

Remember the name and search for this name in Google, see if other had a similar problem with this particular site....

Spybot is by far the best removal tool, here the thread what you should do in a case of malware infection

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

cheers and good luck

viggen

Ok, I tried going to the site using a slightly different address, and I got this information:

Not Found

The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.53 (Mandrakelinux/PREFORK-9mdk) mod_ssl/2.0.53 OpenSSL/0.9.7e PHP/4.3.10 mod_perl/1.999.21 Perl/v5.8.6 Server at www.tanoti.org Port 80

I saved it lol. It's "Tanoti Enterprises Homepage".

Someone else has a problem with this site as well, but not on his main computer. Only on his laptop ;)

I also tried restoring back to Tuesday, running antivirus and adaware scans. This did not word either. Gah.

I'll look into Spybot.

Thanks, I finally managed to get Spybot. It caught some things, but not the particular problem. I'll check the link later when I have a bit more time.

My friend who's a programmer of sorts thinks it might be a problem with the server, but because of firewalls and such most people don't experience the problem. As he put it "you could have half of something".

I tried Firefox, I tried IE, same thing. I cleared cookies AND cache and still the same problem.

Others have the same problem too, though many on the forum didn't as of the last time I was in the chat. I really do think at this point that it is the server or the forum, and not my computer, so there's really absolutely nothing I can do to fix it.