UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Forum Meeting In UK

Thoroughly enjoying all the reports! And dying of envy that I couldn't have been there with y'all!

-- Nephele

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Caldrail looks like a dead ringer for Russell Crowe in Gladiator :no2: , very nice picture was that taken before or after the drink?

Which drink are you referring to? ;)

More images in the UK UNRV gallery, to come :Augustus' Report (Brian of Nazereth included) , part two of the Legates Report and Augustus' photographs.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1686

Yet more images, I should particularly like to draw attention to NNs excellent villa model. I have placed a second alternative view in the gallery , perhaps Neil you could give your thoughts on the property here? Layout, disposition of rented areas etc

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1695

and, off site at my msn space I have more images in the "eboracvm 2 gallery"

In the happy little colonia of HVMVCVLVM, where everything is tiny, tickety -boo (British expression) and the populace worship the benevolent guv'norship of its founder, R.Cornelius Hadrianus (NN), the citizens are erecting a personal mansion to their great benefactor.

In the centre we have the peristyle, with central pool (currently out of view) which is filled by a run - off from the impluvium (under the confluvium, centre right). The slave and tradesmens quarters are to the front, and to the lower right are some workshops with cheap apartments above, which I propose to rent to trusted citizens. Upper right, some columns need to be added, to ensure the stability of the superstructure, which is built above a wine/fast food shop managed by a paid slave who manages it on my behalf. His pay, perks and ultimate freedom depend on the profitability of this enterprise.The rest of the structure - the buildings around the peristyle, the two - storey unsula and the central garden are my own domain. More pictures to follow, pending completion!!

Edited by Northern Neil

Thank you Neil for that exposition .

Now the second part of my report:

Sunday The 15th .

The bedraggled hungover survivors of the previous days route march met once again. The first venue being the Roman Bath museum, (being the underfloor area of a pub). This is the partly excavated site of the bathhouse attached to the Legionary Fortress, where the curator gave a short discursive talk on the likely history of the site and its discovery and restoration. .Caldrail was unable to reastrain himself from arming as a Thracian gladiator and demanding a match pait to the death with any passerby, oddly no one took up his invitation. Interestingly Caldrail had one of those

Needs to be repeated , and soon!

All praise to Pertinax for making everything run smoothly. I much enjoyed Friday evening and Saturday and it was really good to be able to put faces (fairly human faces in certain cases ...) to names. So much was fitted into so short a time! I envy those who participated on Sunday as well -- Mrs D wanted to see the Jorvik Centre, and so did I, and then we had to set off home, so we missed the Sunday activities. But I'm hoping, like Pertinax, that the meeting can be repeated before too long.

My report is almost neering completion and seems like an essay gone wrong in terms of length. I hope it reads ok when it is finally published. I apologise for its slightly later than intended inclusion but with that weekend and subsequent arrival home I found an immense pile of work for my website piled up and requests for several inclusions to be made before this week!! So - that done I am now able to finish the report and get it off to Pertinax for his perusal...

As Andrew and, I would imagine, all others who took part in this weekend are stressing the need to do it again at a new venue we should endeavour to get this off the ground as soon as possible. There is already a new thread for this so please go there and make any comments on the suggested places. I think Hadrian's Wall may be the preferred pointer in September - but I am a little biased!!!!!!

I have enjoyed reading the reports so far and it only enhances the excellent moods of the weekend and the memories we all took away when going home. Thanks guys!!!

Thank you to AD and AC , I feel a warm glow all over! That might be the keema madras I just ate .

The Forum members who attended all played a good team game , I think that was the secret of the weekend.

Now we have the report of AC , including the much publicised "Life of Brian " incident...

Upon arrival at this historic English City my good lady wife, Flavia, and I knew the weather would be good all weekend. We could just feel it in our bones. We took a slow walk to our B&B along the river Ouse then made our way back to the centre of the City to stroll about for a while before meeting the rest of the group bar one later on. It is quite amazing really just what can be found just strolling along and not really taking any notice of the shops and hustle and bustle going on all round us. We found plaques on walls where you would least expect them detailing the whereabouts of the gates to the Roman fort and where certain roads ran through or alongside the fort walls. One that caught our eye was that next to the Treasurer

Great report AC, sounds like you all had a great time in York, especially in the little coffee shop, I'll have to brush up on my "Life Of Brian" for the next meet..... how this for starters.....

" you call me big nose once more and I'll take you to the f****** cleaners!" :yes:

Great report AC, sounds like you all had a great time in York, especially in the little coffee shop, I'll have to brush up on my "Life Of Brian" for the next meet..... how this for starters.....

" you call me big nose once more and I'll take you to the f****** cleaners!" :yes:

Brilliant!!! But then so's every part of that film!!

Thanks for the comment about the report - I appreciate that very much. It's a long one but I didn't want to miss anything out!!!