UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Banna Venta

Oh dear I did get the right Ulverston... silly me... I found the area now. :P

Here it is, but yes, it isn't really a good photo, maybe with the buzz about the find they may update the area as mine town has been.

Bear with the loading time. :lol:

birkriggha7.png

You are right on target. Resolution is poor, nay?

The port you hoped would be around, would that be to the south - east on the ocean? If it was a marching camp the lake would be nice to have there though. How many miles away is it from the ocean?

I had best define my terms, the sea is a mile away, but in those days that stretch of sea would have been "Ocean" , that is not ""our sea " (mediterraneous) but the wild illimitless unknown.

So then how would you expect them to get supplies? If there should be a port as you said, and that is illimitless unknown ocean... would they get supplies by oxcart? The camp is inside Hadrian's wall but unless you know the time period we can't be certain how safe that area is.

So then how would you expect them to get supplies? If there should be a port as you said, and that is illimitless unknown ocean... would they get supplies by oxcart? The camp is inside Hadrian's wall but unless you know the time period we can't be certain how safe that area is.

Check my review of the Classis Brittanica-by ship is the answer! And fast.

http://www.unrv.com/book-review/roman-britain-roman-navy.php

a neglected arm of the service.

I had best define my terms, the sea is a mile away, but in those days that stretch of sea would have been "Ocean" , that is not ""our sea " (mediterraneous) but the wild illimitless unknown.

The way you say it makes it sound bad. If the Romans were that far North, they would probably know the coastline though. My first guess would be boat, the fortlet is a mile from the coast, and if there really is a fortlet there the buried port would be nearby.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

The difficulty in Britain is the considerable changes in sea level since the Roman occupation, York (Eborascvm) is a good example, the original dock facilities are buried under a great deal of sediment; but a lot of that change actually occured during the Roman occupation .As regards coastal defences the use of timber( as an expedient) would likely mean a shortish lifespan for a facility, just as few ships from this time are preserved.