UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I believe that the Romans used smoke and flags to transmit information along Hadrian's wall and elsewhere.

Has anyone ever figured out the code used? And what did they use for signals on a dark night or rainy or foggy day?

I also believe that Caesar encrypted his despatches. If the despatches are available, has any figured them out?

We know the various techniques they used but as far as I'm aware the actual codes used remain a mystery. All the signals used by the romans required line-of-sight unless a rider was sent instead. On foggy days this visual communication would have been useless. Fire signals and beacons served at night, and unless its a downpour its still possible to get a fire going as long as the wood you set light to is dry. Inflammable substances like pitch would assist you there.

We know the various techniques they used but as far as I'm aware the actual codes used remain a mystery. All the signals used by the romans required line-of-sight unless a rider was sent instead. On foggy days this visual communication would have been useless. Fire signals and beacons served at night, and unless its a downpour its still possible to get a fire going as long as the wood you set light to is dry. Inflammable substances like pitch would assist you there.

If you make the simple experiment of taking a walk along Hadrian's Wall , you will, even in "spring" find that weather conditions would probably favour direct contact . The weather can close in very quickly , the wind and rain can drive you off the Wall .

True, but we know that the legions posted there had a signal system to call reinforcements from larger forts away from the wall.

Granted, I was merely saying that its a tough environment to signal in consistently.

If my memory serves, the Romans used 'runners' or a 'pony express' on their roads to deliver imperial messages to the provinces. Perhaps this method was used on a bad day? A little slow though.

Fleets at sea, when travelling in radio silence, use flags and light to signal each other. Does the present code have any bearing on the ancient code?

Edited by Gaius Octavius