UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Singing

Gaius Octavius

I had a thumb through Suetonius, and according to him the song actually goes:

'Home we bring our bald whoremonger; Romans, lock your wives away!

All the bags of gold you lent him Went his Gallic tarts to pay.'

Thank you WotWotius! I couldn't find the blasted book so I had to use the memory from a year ago. That's exactly how it went. (Now I'm embarrased :lol: )

Hey, I was close! ;)

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

I've been looking into the matter of Roman singing, and it seems that it was a part of the everyday life of common plebs. Tibullus informs us that:

'Weaving women in unremitting service to Minerva sing while the loom clatters as the clay weights swing.'

Singing was also a popular with a certain emperor:

'While he was singing no one was allowed to leave the theatre even for the most urgent reasons. And so it is said that some women gave birth to children there, while many who were worn out with listening and applauding, secretly leaped from the wall, since the gates at the entrance were closed, or feigned death and were carried out as if for burial.'

While you are all probably aware of the amusing musical antics of Emperor Nero, the source does confirm that most public choral performances took place in theatres.

There are also reports of complaints for bad singing in the bathhouses. Does anybody know a source for this?

I've been looking into the matter of Roman singing, and it seems that it was a part of the everyday life of common plebs. Tibullus informs us that:

'Weaving women in unremitting service to Minerva sing while the loom clatters as the clay weights swing.'

Singing was also a popular with a certain emperor:

'While he was singing no one was allowed to leave the theatre even for the most urgent reasons. And so it is said that some women gave birth to children there, while many who were worn out with listening and applauding, secretly leaped from the wall, since the gates at the entrance were closed, or feigned death and were carried out as if for burial.'

While you are all probably aware of the amusing musical antics of Emperor Nero, the source does confirm that most public choral performances took place in theatres.

There are also reports of complaints for bad singing in the bathhouses. Does anybody know a source for this?

I'm not sure of the source but I remember a quote saying that the noise of living above a bathouse was undesirable.

Edited by caldrail

Residences were only built above back-street bathhouses known as balneae; they were often privately owned and therefore the owners had planning permission to exstras to the buildings. It seems unlikely that the state owned thermae baths--the larger, more famous Imperial baths--were built to accommodate people.

In his Moral Epistles the 1st Century philosopher, Seneca complained about the horrendous noise he had to endure when he lived above a balneae:

'I'm surrounded by the most terrible racket.... When the top gymnasts are training and swinging their lead dumb bells, when they are labouring or pretending to labour, I hear them groan.... And if I get some lazy bather who wants no more than a cheap massage, then I hear the sound of the hand slapping the shoulders.... And let us not leave out the picker of quarrels, the petty thief caught in the act, the man who is in love with the sound of his own voice in the bath.'

Edited by WotWotius

I have found another reference that relates to Roman song:

The 5th Century Poet Apollinaris Sidonius tells us via poetry that singers and musicians were often trained at schools:

'From her town between the two seas let Corinth send harping-girls who have learned stage singing and dancing at the warm training-school, and whose musical fingers replacing the pick shall ply the strings that wake to life at their touch, while their tongues sound in harmony.'

Hope that was of some use.

Edited by WotWotius

• 3 weeks later...

Trainee singers would spend time lying on their backs with lead weights on their chest. This would improve breathing and allow better sustain. Apparently. Probably true though.