UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rise And Fall: Civilizations At War.

WotWotius

Today I won this from entering a BBC History magazine competition.

What are your views on it?

Good/bad/boring...?

Looks pretty good to me but only you can decide, let us know how you get on :)

I have had a quick play around with R+F, and it does not seem to be anything new. Sure, the heroes (including Julius Caesar with a magic bow!??) are fun to play with, but the game just struck me as a second-rate version of Warcraft III with a hint of classical history.

As this was apparent, came off as being a bit pedestrian.

But hey, a free game is a free game.

Edited by WotWotius

I have played the demo, and it seems totally unhistorical. I also don't like the strategy part much (some many other games are better at that), but going into hero mode and fighting as a person I find suprisingly fun. Running around as Cleopatra cutting down legionaries like flies with a big curved sword thingy, and shooting them with a bow, which oddly enough kills them even when my arrow hits their sheild.

Upon playing the game again (this time trying out the online multiplayer mode), I came to the realisation that my initial assessment might have been a little harsh.

...playing real people is much more fun than the single player: there are enough siegcrafts, navel vessels and needless explosions to keep me happy for hours.

Oh, and as for the game being unhistorical, that is not really a problem for me, fun is still fun whether or not its realistic.

So to sum up:

multiplayer=fun

singleplayer=boring

Edited by WotWotius

Upon playing the game again (this time trying out the online multiplayer mode), I came to the realisation that my initial assessment might have been a little harsh.

...playing real people is much more fun than the single player: there are enough siegcrafts, navel vessels and needless explosions to keep me happy for hours.

Oh, and as for the game being unhistorical, that is not really a problem for me, fun is still fun whether or not its realistic.

So to sum up:

multiplayer=fun

singleplayer=boring

well im glad thats sorted out :)

So to sum up:

multiplayer=fun

singleplayer=boring

well im glad thats sorted out :)

Damn right!

Glad to hear you enjoy it. I have contenplated buying this game for sometime bt I've been put off by reviews I have read on the internet, with a lot saying that you need a super computer for the game to run smoothly as well as complaining about the bugs and glitches and the frustrating gameplay on some levels. Supposedly you had to singlehandedly wipe out 200 persian guards as Alexander in a ten minute span with only your war bow. Don't know if that is true though.

Either way people say (Wotwotius among them) that the single player game is not very good.