UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Evolution Of Roman Morals

I've observerd that the morals were highly valued in the early republic (Hard work, honor, ect.). As the empire grew and essentially became 'rich', those values were tossed aside to partake in satisfying any lust money could buy. Examples of this are in American society today. Early colonists to America, notably Puritans, lived for their moral standards. Now that the US is an established power, the people seem to lax off, just as the Romans did, particularily the wealthy, which led to corruption and civil strife.

Yes, this is a reflection of human nature. The early romans were derided as porridge-eaters. By the principate, we see wealthy romans spending fortunes on banquets to the extent that some individuals committed scuicide because they could no longer afford it. The poor of course ate bread and whatever else they could grow, purchase, beg, or steal - just as they always had.

Success has the effect of making humans lazy. Thats why big businesses and large empires collapse - because the little guys are hungrier and cut away at the big guys back. Thats an over-simplification perhaps but you get the point?

Morals evolve in similar ways. Focused disciplined people tend to have strong morals. When money is no object, then what do you do for kicks? You bend the rules, and morals are put aside as impediments to enjoying yourself.

Edited by caldrail

The moral climate of the empire was a somewhat different place than the early Republic. Whether you find this a degeneration or not depends on your criteria. Women, at least those with some financial resources, had more social freedoms and mobility in the empire than they did in the early Republic, for instance. Not inherently a bad thing from my perspective.

Had I been an equestrian living under the early Empire, I think I gladly would have sought a life of wealth and status after a token tour of duty in the provincial civil service. Why not? The fruits of empire should be enjoyed.