UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Boudica Film

StuK

The Manda Scott 'Boudica' series of books is pretty good, although it's probably about 60% fiction it has all the timescales, battles, all the major characters involved, Boudica, prasutagas, caratacus, Decianus Catus, Paulllinus, Nero etc, it gives a bit of an insight into what these people may have been like.

Yes ok it is only a novel and should not be taken for historical fact but after reading it , it made me want to know a little bit more about the truth of it so i did a bit of research and now i'm a bit more clued up on that period of history

So i think it just go's to show that even if it's not accurate, if it sets you on the right tracks to finding out the truth in the long run then it's a good place to start :o

Skarr - how on earth (except in a Frenchman's imagination) does Boudicca fight the "young Caesar"?

Caesar died March 44 BC, Boudicca flourished 9if that's the word) c61 AD - around a hundred years later.

Or is this the "modern" approach to history (viz Iggulden) - anything goes so long as its exciting??

Phil

Phil,

Didn't I say "ancestor" in my post? This is her great great great...etc. grandmother, the first Boudicca in her line..

Cheers ..

The Manda Scott 'Boudica' series of books is pretty good, although it's probably about 60% fiction it has all the timescales, battles, all the major characters involved, Boudica, prasutagas, caratacus, Decianus Catus, Paulllinus, Nero etc, it gives a bit of an insight into what these people may have been like.

Yes ok it is only a novel and should not be taken for historical fact but after reading it , it made me want to know a little bit more about the truth of it so i did a bit of research and now i'm a bit more clued up on that period of history

So i think it just go's to show that even if it's not accurate, if it sets you on the right tracks to finding out the truth in the long run then it's a good place to start :rolleyes:

Yeah have to agree that Manada Scott's Boudica series and Christian Jacq's Ramses series are the best of their kind. Manda Scott might be a good spot to start actually. I see that the fourth book in that series has just come out. Have read the other 3, so better complete the series before I start writing.

I think I might have cracked this. I'll post the new version of the prologue that I have written later this week ON MY SITE, not here

Where is your site stuk?

You'll have to give us an address so we can check it out

...it may get people who read the story to investigate the actual history for themselves.

or confuse them utterly.

I worry, as an historian, about the lack of regard for accuracy in modern media attempts to show the past. Simplification is one thing, absolute invention another - unless it is labelled as fantasy, of course.

Phil

Yeah, just look at Vin Diesel's 'Hannibal' film...:frusty:

No. I have no part in "Warrior". Maybe a TV series is the way to go. Hollywood steals my bloody idea AGAIN. Damn those American egotists. Fine.....

I'll just update my blog with my version of Boudica.

I'm sure "Warrior" will be great, but I would love to be able to get in on things first.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...75013&itm=3

Book on the legion that destroyed the rebellion, if you want to investigate for yourself. I'm going to go buy it.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia