UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Frank Miller's 300

WotWotius

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was exaggerating to make a point.

So were Miller and Snyder. The hyperbole they used in pretty much every scene should have made it clear what this movie was about. Much clearer than, for example, the muddled mess that was Troy.

Imo the exaggerated visuals are what made 300 succeed where Troy failed.

I liked the visuals. The acting was ok too (though Gerard Butler, imo, is a mediocre actor; definitely not cut for Leonidas). But what was the point behind portraying Xerxes as a piercing fetishist and the Immortals as a bunch of chimps wearing happy meal masks?

And what was the point behind all the "freedom talk"? Or is that just the same old bit of Americana that makes it into every historical epic made in Holywood?

Troy was quite awful I agree. Eric Bana would've done a better job at playing king Leo though.

But what was the point behind portraying Xerxes as a piercing fetishist and the Immortals as a bunch of chimps wearing happy meal masks?

Same point as portraying the Spartans as a bunch of cape and leather speedo-wearing steroid containers. That's what I meant by visuals too. They took the basic story line and changed the appearance of pretty much everything: The Spartans, Persians, the terrain, weaponry, everything except the basic plot lines. Whatever they decided to use instead doesn't really matter.

And what was the point behind all the "freedom talk"? Or is that just the same old bit of Americana that makes it into every historical epic made in Holywood?

I refer you to Herodotus. The "freedom talk" was Greek propoganda as well. In Alexander it was out of place, but in the Persian Wars there was a lot of rhetoric going on about Persian slavery.

I have just watched this movie, and I thought it was fantastic! As I type, I have re-started the DVD player and am watching it through again. Like anyone else, I was initially disappointed to hear of orc - like creatures, strange monsters and hoplites in loincloth, but as the film unfolded I saw it for what it was - a fictionalised and artistic portrayal of an ancient event. In that sense, I don't think it should be criticised negatively any more than a Shakespeare play, or a renaissance painting. Perhaps it should be lauded by our good selves, as it keeps to the classical tradition, dating back to Homer, of mythologising and heroically portraying historic events?

The bare bones of the historical event I thought were broadly kept to; and were used as the basis for a damned good fantasy movie. The computer generated buildings, I couldn't fault!

I have just watched this movie, and I thought it was fantastic! As I type, I have re-started the DVD player and am watching it through again. Like anyone else, I was initially disappointed to hear of orc - like creatures, strange monsters and hoplites in loincloth, but as the film unfolded I saw it for what it was - a fictionalised and artistic portrayal of an ancient event. In that sense, I don't think it should be criticised negatively any more than a Shakespeare play, or a renaissance painting. Perhaps it should be lauded by our good selves, as it keeps to the classical tradition, dating back to Homer, of mythologising and heroically portraying historic events?

The bare bones of the historical event I thought were broadly kept to; and were used as the basis for a damned good fantasy movie. The computer generated buildings, I couldn't fault!

QFT, NN. QFT. :huh:

I saw it last night and left the theatre feeling like I got a shot of testosterone that lasted a couple of hours.

Awesome stuff.

Finally this movie have started going at Swedish cinemas, and even when it fails history, it was entertaining. The effects were splendid and I think they have been putting a lot of effort in making it a "beautiful" film. Maybe a little too much.

I also managed to acquire an original poster (Not the usual one they sell, this is the type they use at the cinema)!

i haven't seen it yet but i need do but i have to ask... is it worth it

I would say yes, it's not a historically correct movie, but it's fairly entertaining. Then again I guess it all comes down to what kinda movies you enjoy.

Well, I went to see 300 today and here's my two cents on the movie:

1. It doesn't snow in Sparta. Quite funny when you have an 8 year old Leonidas fighting a wolf with bitter winters on the fringes of the Mediterranean.

2. Leonidas wife was very ugly.

3. I don't understand why half the Persians were black.

4. If 300 Spartans withstood the Persian army then being outnumbered 3 to 1 should be easy. (After Thermopylae.)

5. As I said before and was stated in the movie, the Persian army was ill prepared and weak relying on sheer numbers.

I liked the movie. It is of course fictionalized but nonetheless gets the point across. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

1. It doesn't snow in Sparta. Quite funny when you have an 8 year old Leonidas fighting a wolf with bitter winters on the fringes of the Mediterranean.

I was of the impression that he was sent to one of the many nearby mountains during his rite de passage. I guess it would snow there, shouldn't be impossible atleast. However he would never survive in that outfit :D