UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rethinking The Fall Of Easter Island

Every year, thousands of tourists from around the world take a long flight across the South Pacific to see the famous stone statues of Easter Island. Since 1722, when the first Europeans arrived, these megalithic figures, or moai, have intrigued visitors. Interest in how these artifacts were built and moved led to another puzzling question: What happened to the people who created them?

full article at the American Scientist

If my memory serves, Hyerdahl was not a trained archaeologist.

No, he was an anthropologist but did have trained archaeologists on his team.

He also tried to prove that Egyptians came to the Americas.

No, he tried to prove that Egyptians could have come to America. Quite a difference. :suprise:

Heyerdahl wasn't a kook

This may have come up in the article--I really feel too unwell to read it--but wasn't Heyerdahl the person who sailed across the Atlantic Ocean in a raft made of papyrus, thus illustrating that trade between Afro-European and the Americas could have been present in the Ancient world.

This may have come up in the article--I really feel too unwell to read it--but wasn't Heyerdahl the person who sailed across the Atlantic Ocean in a raft made of papyrus, thus illustrating that trade between Afro-European and the Americas could have been present in the Ancient world.

He tried to but his reed ships fell apart just short of his goal.

However,

He learned what his mistake was later from reed boat makers in South America... That the reeds are supposed to be harvested at a certain time of year so they will maintain water resistency.

RA II was built with this knowledge and did make it across in 57 days.

However,

He learned what his mistake was later from reed boat makers in South America... That the reeds are supposed to be harvested at a certain time of year so they will maintain water resistency.

RA II was built with this knowledge and did make it across in 57 days.

Righto! He did bring the S.A. Indians to Egypt to make RAII. Did it actually make it to shore on its own?

I think that I will have a Blog on later Biblical East-West voyages.