UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The J. Paul Getty Museum In Malibu

Favonius Cornelius

Hopefully the recent return of some Getty art work to Italy has not depleated its store of items. This Labor Day weekend I have made a reservation to visit. Anyone been there? I'll bring my camera and hopefully I can set up a photo log of my visit.

Getty Malibu

Hopefully the recent return of some Getty art work to Italy has not depleated its store of items. This Labor Day weekend I have made a reservation to visit. Anyone been there? I'll bring my camera and hopefully I can set up a photo log of my visit.

Getty Malibu

I've been there a lot in the past, but not since they reopened the Malibu museum. It seems J. Paul Getty thought that stretch of the California coast ressembled the Bay of Naples to him in climate and flora. So he built this full size Pompeiian villa there to house his collection. He had a free standing bronze chariot driver that they thought was a Lysippus, but I think it's been proven a copy. The collection of republican busts was superb.

When old man Getty died he was the richest man in the world, and because of family disputes he left he bulk of his fortune to the museum. I hear it's really good. They bought the land around it and planted high cypresses and pines to make sure the mood isn't broken by a Jack in the Box or muffler store. When driving there be careful, Mel Gibson lives nearby and may be back behind the wheel!

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks I have returned from my visit to the Getty and uploaded all the pictures I took of this remarkable place. I was absolutly swept off my feet by the beauty of the grounds and the scope of the collection. I've never in my life seen so many Roman and Greek artifacts in one location. I strongly reccomend anyone to visit the place.

Anyway you can view my picture gallery here. Many apologies for those pictures which are a little hazy; naturally flash photography is not allowed and some of the rooms were dark.

Hope you enjoy!

Excellent shots, I see the Herm has an important "part" missing.

Excellent shots, I see the Herm has an important "part" missing.

Really? What is missing?

You missed a little something? :dontgetit:

Er... the "sacred interpenetrating rgenerative member". To remove the sacred member is to disempower the image of the Herm. If "members" recall one bad night in Athens ,415 BC, a group of young men smashed the very same organs off a number of herms , so as to scare the "simpler' classes into thinking that the Gods had deserted the City (and hence to make the forthcoming naval campaign in Sicily "lack cujones " , so to speak).An act of gross impiety.

LOL, interesting. Where on that herm would the....unit, be placed?

Note please the handily placed "socket" lower down the front face of the excellent image you took. Just pop the appropriate item into this cavity, though it should be of an upright nature to suggest both fecundity and to be meant as a warning. The nature of the warning might be interpreted thus, "do not indulge in excessive sensual pleasures or you will suffer penetration ie: you will acquire an effeminate nature ( acted upon by external events/things, hence superficial ) , rather than being a mature , self contained person of dignity and gravity".

The concept of the crossing or potential transgression of boundaries is tied to this image also, so the "penetrative" meaning becomes clearer.

My statement is very simplified and I suspect Pantagathus and Ursus may wish to comment .

Strangely enough ,despite Gaius Octavius' recent highly imaginative and priapic gallery efforts, there is no herm image in that sequence.

http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~kallet/greece/P...20Sacrafice.jpg

a sacrifice being made before a priapic image.

http://www.unrv.com/book-review/hermes-the-thief.php

An excellent review of a very informative work.

It's hard to get into the mindset of something like that not being rediculous but rather pius. I mean even from an astetic point of view, its odd. Different times.

The fate of the "Herm breakers" I mentioned above was to be arraigned for trial , the common people were outraged at the indignity perpetrated.

I suggest that the phallus might also be interpreted as an image of dread , certainly where cults relating to death/re-birth (as actual ceremonial ) are concerned , temporary entombment (with the images/paraphanalia) of re-generation cannot have been a pleasant experience. The Victorians were obsessed with images of death and untimely mortality that we find either morbidly odd or repulsive (yet they eschewed any sexual imagery), presently sexual/sexualising images proliferate whereas morbidity and death are anathema. Tricky cultural barriers to see through.

Remember though , no body shame- we are pre-Judaeo Christian- the body is not a shameful thing to be hidden