UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Neapolitan Amphitheatre

WotWotius

I was looking through Northern Neil's aerial photos of various amphitheatres, and I came across one located in Naples.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=807

I have been to Naples once before, and I must have missed this gem of a sight. Does anybody have any on-ground photos of it? It would be interesting to see just how much of this sight still remains.

I was looking through Northern Neil's aerial photos of various amphitheatres, and I came across one located in Naples.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=807

I have been to Naples once before, and I must have missed this gem of a sight. Does anybody have any on-ground photos of it? It would be interesting to see just how much of this sight still remains.

I have some pics of the one in Verona (which is still used today) that I will soon put up in my gallery.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Naples region, there are of course amphitheatres at Pompeii and at Capua Vetere (a well-known centre of gladiatorial training with connections to Spartacus) and another with well preserved subterranean facilities at Puteoli.

That this is the Puteoli amphitheatre is given away by the two rectangular shapes (actually openings) which can be seen on the oval of the arena.

Nice pic.

Phil

Edited by phil25

• 3 weeks later...