UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Imperium

Lucius Cato

Harris is the anti-McCollough? Well, why didn't you say that in your review? Now I'm going to order Imperium right away!

BTW, I loved Pompeii.

Just bumping this, as I've just started the book and am loving it. Have you had a chance to read it yet, Cato?

As for Colleen McCullough - I still haven't forgiven her for The Thorn Birds all those years ago. Dreadful stuff. I daren't think about her being let loose on our precious Romans.

Half-way through it--since I typically read these sorts of books while traveling, I'm hoping to finish it up tomorrow. So far Harris has been quite sympathetic to Cicero and his world-view.

Hasn't he just? I actually found myself chuckling so much at Cicero's wit through the early part of this. And I think the fact that Harris (through Tiro) portrays Cicero with all his flaws, only makes the character more 'lovable'. A silly description, I know - but that is how I perceived it. I really am enjoying the novel, and one can't help but be sympathetic to Cicero - even when Tiro presents his vanities to us. It makes him seem all the more human.

I have read that Harris intends to make this a trilogy. I can't wait for Part 2.