UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Caesar Bloodline

spittle

On the death of Augustus, when the legions in Pannonia and, more importantly, Germania started to revolt against Tiberius in favour of Germanicus as their Emperor, what chance would this rebellion have had if Germanicus had actually thrown in his full support and marched on Rome in an attempted coup?

Back to the top.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only say 'Hear, Hear' to that, Phil! Has there yet been a thread for the discussion of this overblown, over-praised godling?

There is this rather old thread in which I went on a bit of a tirade regarding the Death of Germanicus

Though I don't think the guy I was replying to read a single one of my posts... especially those that quoted the ancients verbatim... it was quite frustrating.

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of this old thread, PP. I have just finished reading through it, and may I say, you are a saint! To have maintained your dignity and integrity in the face of such hamfisted posting from G. Nero is a superhuman feat indeed. I would have forgotten I was a lady had I been dealing with him, I think. :D I noted he has not been back since August 2005. Well, for every one of Jove's thunderbolts, Iris sends us a rainbow. :lol:

Edited to add: When G. Nero kept on and on at you to name him a source that did not state that Tiberius was accused of Germanicus' murder, I would have thrown Velleius Paterculus at him. That would have also destroyed his argument about Suetonius being the closest one to the events!

Edited by The Augusta