UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

To Choose The Moment

phil25

My question is a simple one, but the answer, I think, is more difficult.

It is this.

At what moment in his early career did Octavian decide to aim for a (if not the) principal position in the Roman state?

When Caesar was murdered we know that Octavian was across the Adriatic in Macedonia - presumably awaiting his great-uncle to join the invasion of Parthia. Almost at once, on receiving the news from Rome, Octavian (accompanied, if I recall correctly by Agrippa and Maecenas) returned to Italy. What were his aims, ambitions and aspirations at that moment? Surely he could not remotely have imagined the principiate, and sole rule so early? So what were his intentions?

In Italia, he gathers his uncles legions about him using his new name. He gets rebuffed by Antonius when seeking his inheritance, but still with immense confidence seeks to place Caesar's throne in the Circus for the games. Does this signify that even so early Octavian glimpsed that he would - or wanted to - claim that position of single rule that his adoptive father had occupied so recently? Or was he seeking publicity - but for what?

Octavian must have known that in the ordinary way he was years from joining the Senate, decades from a consulship - yet pompeius had reached the heights without occupying the intervening offices of state. At this stage was Pompeius, rather than Caesar, his model?

Even when the triumvirate was formed - did Octavian foresee himself discarding Antonius and ruling alone?

After actium, the constitution was altered at least twice as Octavian (by then Augustus) tweaked the rules to soften his dictatorship (though the title was abolished by then). But from what point had he started to re-work the board to suit his ambitions?

Throughout his early career he played with names. Cicero was flattered by being allowed to call him Octavian as Phillipus did, rather than "Caesar". but beside those two names we had Imperator; and "tota Italia" offering him crowns before the Actium campaign.

I suppose in essence my question is this:

Was Octavian ALWAYS simply an adventurer, an opportunist, making use of what each day offered and turning it to advantage, but without a plan overall?

Or did he have a plan from the start but it changed?

Or was there a moment when opportunism changed to a vision - perceiving the possibility of autocracy one day?

I have no firm view on this, and would be genuinely interested to hear the ideas an opinions of others among you.

Thanks in anticipation,

Phil

I think that at the time of Caesar's assassination Octavian was quite happy to tag along behind his adopted father and then eventually take over the reigns, but after Caesar's untimely death Octavian was left with two choices, to step up to the mantle and try to continue where Caesar left off (wether he knew where that was or where it was going is another question), or to just fade into the background and spent the rest of his life as a could have been.

I think with the help of Agrippa and Maecenas he was able to forsee the possibilities of what lay ahead and also his own potential, those two played a major part in Octavian becoming Augustus.

He was a very clever man and although i dont think he had his entire life mapped out ( not even he would have expected to achieve what he actually did ) i think he definately knew which path he was going to take and just pretty much like you say took one step at a time and turned each one to his advantage, some of it with luck, some of it with skill and intelligence.

It's certainly a difficult concept to answer. At first glance, we might look and see a young ambitious man who simply wished to avenge his adoptive father and earn a place of importance within Roman politics. However, when we stop and realize that a youthful champion was no longer an abnormality in Rome (Pompey Magnus for instance) and couple that with the name of Caesar and Octavian's own heritage (in contrast to Pompey's humble novus origins in Picenum), its quite possible that Octavian thought that singular rule was possible from the very beginning. He may have been just as influenced by Alexander as Caesar and perhaps moreso because of the personal success of Caesar's exploits.

Personally though, I feel any such agenda to ultimate power came much later... long after the defeat of the 'Republicans'. Despite the rivalry between he and Antonius from the reading of Caesar's will on, it's difficult at best to see Octavian (despite his savvy) manipulating an alliance with Antonius, etc. all with the ultimate goal of his own supremacy. It seems that the plan continued to develop with various circumstances.

To me the key event seems to have been the defeat of Sextus Pompey. Not only was this one dangerous rival eliminated, but Octavian's shrewdness also managed to eliminate Lepidus as a political player at the same instance. It's at this particular time when rule of the empire was split between two men/factions that the possibility of singular authority becomes a reality and the anti-Cleopatra/Antonius propaganda begins in earnest. Perhaps Octavian planned it all along, but I think this event is key in making this plan a realistic goal.

A very thoughtful and thought-provoking post, PP. Thank you.

Thanks also to GPM. It is fascinating to see the minds of others' working on this question.

Phil

Roman youths were educated in a regime that encouraged initiative and risk. Young men were supposed to aim for excellence in war, sport, and politics. Octavian already had the correct mindset at an early age - It was expected that he should strive to be the best (although many of his rivals would choose to reach so far but not go for gold as it were). When the opportunity arose he went for it. I agree though that its difficult to sense when that fateful decision was taken. Roman youths must have matured sooner than we do - they had no choice - and perhaps young octavian watched his elders assume power, wealth,and no doubt decided that he too would do so one day.

Once Octavian was part of the circle of influential men his course was clear- and I personally think Caesar had much to do with Octavians career move.

Edited by caldrail

Once Octavian was part of the circle of influential men his course was clear- and I personally think Caesar had much to do with Octavians career move.

By adopting him, for one thing. That meant that Octavian would inherit Caesar's patronage -- hundreds of thousands of people, all the client rulers, all the army veterans and all the civilians who had to be grateful to Caesar for their prosperity. It's hard work being a patron on that scale, as each successive emperor discovered.

• 2 weeks later...
To me the key event seems to have been the defeat of Sextus Pompey. Not only was this one dangerous rival eliminated, but Octavian's shrewdness also managed to eliminate Lepidus as a political player at the same instance. It's at this particular time when rule of the empire was split between two men/factions that the possibility of singular authority becomes a reality and the anti-Cleopatra/Antonius propaganda begins in earnest. Perhaps Octavian planned it all along, but I think this event is key in making this plan a realistic goal.

I agree with your entire post, PP, but especially the paragraph quoted above. I am also of the opinion that there was a great change in Octavian's outlook after Sicily. Not only was the triple victory there the cause for great national rejoicing (the corn supply was freed, civil war for the moment (ostensibly) at an end), but a member of the Triumvirate was disposed of too - and all in the name of peace. We will never know just why Lepidus chose that moment to make his futile and misjudged bid for more power, but he played into Octavian's hands. And let us not forget that after Sicily, Octavian's popularity soared and Octavia and Livia were both honoured by the Senate and People. So confident was he becoming that he instigated his campaigns in Illyricum in 35-34BC, so as not to be seen resting on his laurels. This was in direct competition with Antony's campaigns in the east, so he was already formulating the east/west divide as you so rightly point out.

Whether he did want sole rule from the outset we will never know, and I agree that Agrippa and Maecenas may well have urged him on. However, it is interesting that many people overlook Salvidienus Rufus in these early years of Octavian's bid for power. I have always had my suspicions that he was quite a driving force - and his later actions proved that he could be ambitious and unscrupulous, throwing his loyalty to the winds. The fact that Octavian had this former close associate and personal friend tried and condemned by the Senate is, I think, a telling statement of his intent. Octavian was shrewd enough to show clemency to Lucius Antony after Perusia, but arraigned his leading general of the time (and let us not forget that Rufus was indeed his leading general at this stage) on a charge of treason. Pardoning enemies and condemning friends would have done his own credibility no harm whatsoever at that time.

Some VERY thought-provoking posts recently here. I must say I am intrigued and impressed by your remarks about Salvidienus, Ayugusta. Very possible, and he is indeed overlooked/overshadowed in retrospect.

Phil

...but a member of the Triumvirate was disposed of too - and all in the name of peace. We will never know just why Lepidus chose that moment to make his futile and misjudged bid for more power, but he played into Octavian's hands.

You are implying that Lepidus was merely prey caught in Octavian's well-laid trap; this apparently was not the case. When Lepidus decided to turn on Octavian he was in a very strong position: most of the legions in Sicily were under his control, and Octavian had seemly few troops. The only reason Lepidus did not receive his intended result was because he did not bank on his troops defecting to 'Caesar's heir'.

The ancient texts claim that Octavian returned to Rome after Caesar's death filled with the lust for vengeance against his betrayers. Could this have been a genuine factor in this early stage that later developed into a quest for ultimate power or was it a simple suggestion on the part of Suetonius et al to explain Octavian's sudden drive for power?

It certainly seems that Octavian was the main motivator in bringing the "Liberators" to book. Butb it took two years.

I doubt he could even remotely have had that as a priority - even as an aspiration in must have been long term in 44.

But it underlines my basic question - what was Octavian's principal motivation in 44?

Phil

I think it was ever simpler than that. When Octavian arrived in Rome in 44 BC, his main goal was to collect his inheritance: collecting this vast sum would mean he could launch a 'legitimate' political career, without the use of arms. During that time, his political position was weak, and, in order to have a chance of receiving his rightful inheritance, Octavian had to ally himself with the likes of Cicero.

He was only aware of the bigger picture when he subsequently met with Marc Anthony and Lepidus directly after Mutina. It was at this point that he realised just how much power he could amass; therefore, with his new found alliances, economic position and imperial command, it was now possible to satisfy his initial ideology: vengeance.

I think it was ever simpler than that. When Octavian arrived in Rome in 44 BC, his main goal was to collect his inheritance: collecting this vast sum would mean he could launch a 'legitimate' political career, without the use of arms.

Yes, his first goal was to successfully claim the inheritance, but I meant to suggest that it was ambition (in addition to his legal right) that drove him to do this even in spite of the objections of his family. Certainly I don't mean to imply that it was ambition alone, but only that I believe this to be the single most influential motivating factor.

I really do have to emphasise the nature of roman ambition. Roman youths of good families were brought up to believe that it was there station in life to achieve. Think about the american college system and how it prepared young people for success - not just with education, but with standards of behaviour and attitude toward the world. So it was with Rome. Octavian was no different in that respect. He was however in a better starting position and perhaps more talented than many of his rivals. Also the patronage of roman culture played its part, as successful men would want proteges in their pockets - it increased the strength of their faction at grass roots albeit with some risk of treachery later. But then, the young man concerned would be well aware that his opportunities to progress depended on the old man who guided his efforts.